What's new

Looking to buy Toshiba 30HF83 (1 Viewer)

JoshuaL

Grip
Hey all - I've been debating between whether to upgrade to a front projector w/ screen or an HDTV-ready TV. Because of a lack of space in our living room, a lack of funds for a good projector and screen, and because our recently purchased (and expensive) entertainment center can only handle a maximum 30"-wide TV, I'm finding myself drawn to the Toshiba 30HF83 as just about my only real option. (At 29-3/4" wide, it's the only HD set I could find that will fit.)

My question is: since I'm going from a 31" 4:3 TV to a 30" 16:9 TV, do you think the reduced height will be a big minus? I'm wondering if anyone else has done something similar - basically, I really want the better resolution of an HD set for DVDs, games, etc. (via component inputs) but am hoping that regular TV watching won't suffer greatly.

Thanks for any input ... and thanks for a great site!

John S

Senior HTF Member
For myself it was an enormous minus, comming from my 48" 4:3 set. I am quite the old movie buff, and really wanted a much larger 4:3 screen than I already had.

I opt'd for a 60" 4:3 set, that is supposed to still give full res in 16:9 mode. It remains to be seen still, as I ordered online and have not recieved the 60" HDTV as of yet.

I have ordered many products online, so I have gotten used to waiting. But this one for the largescreen hdtv has been by far the worst. Like it is effecting my sleep or lack there of, even. lol

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Three months ago I went from a 32" Panasonic(4:3)to the 30" Toshiba(16:9) and, so far, I have no regrets. I sit about 8 feet away from the TV for watching cable and about 5 to 6 feet away for DVD's and LD's. I mostly use the TW1 mode for basic cable and I have watched several of my 4:3 DVD's in Natural (4:3) mode. YANKEE DOODLE DANDY was incredible. Hope this helps.:)

Gilbert_P

Stunt Coordinator
i myself have just ordered this set and i am very excited. i was also debating whether or not the Sony HS 510 30 inch would be better. I saw both sets with hd signals being fed and it looked excellent. Both are great buys. The Toshiba has good warranty to. 1 yr part and labor, 2 years piture tube. It also has Dvi input along with the sony. i think you would be very happy with the 30 hf83. About the size issue, just go to a store grab a seat and sit at the same distance you will sit at your house and see how it feels. if it feels to small to you than go with the projector.

JoshuaL

Grip
Well, I ordered this set last night. I also ordered a bunch of cables (component video & coax audio) from bluejeanscable.com and an Audio Authority 1154 switcher (my receiver has one coax and one optical input).

Can't wait to see the better video quality!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks