What's new

Looking to buy my first HDTV... (1 Viewer)

Mike Purfield

Auditioning
Hi there everyone, I'm looking to buy an HDTV and I was wondering if I might be able to get some feedback on recommended models. Basically, I'll be looking for something in the low end range. I'm hoping to spend around $1600US. It will be going in my relatively small room (about 11'x11') so a mammoth display is out of the question. It seems to me like my best bet would be either a direct view set or a small RPTV. I'm really interested in the Samsung HCM4216W. Onecall is selling it for 1440 shipped, which seems like a pretty good deal to me (I'm not sure about ordering over the 'net, any bad experiences?). So, does anyone have any suggestions? I tried asking this in AVS, with the only reply being a suggestion for a cheap $200 27" SDTV. Not my idea of a home theater!

I'd really appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
either a direct view set or a small RPTV. I'm really interested in the Samsung HCM4216W.
I'm not really up on the Samsung model numbers, but I presume that this is around 27 to 30” direct view, widescreen model. I have seen this in a dealers, but they did not have it hooked up to a high def feed, so I could not comment on the HD picture quality. The picture quality as presented was more or less OK, but it was on a shared RF cable input, not S-Video or component, so it would be hard to mention anything for sure.

I have read other references to some problems with the Samsung HD, direct view product, but they may have sorted that problem out by now. I’ve been considering the smaller Samsung

I’m not aware of any other direct view, widescreen products on the market in your price range (this does not mean that there are none). RPTVs don’t meet my needs (both WAF and the narrow viewing angle), so others may have more balanced views than me. If you could stretch your budget another $600 or $700 there are a number of 36” widescreen, direct-view models with very good pictures and features. I personally liked the Sony and Panasonic models the best with Toshiba close.

You did not say, but if you are in the market for a 4:3 HD set, there are a number of direct view models available in your price range (and even lower). As I don’t have much interest in a 4:3 HD set, I’ve not evaluated them, but I did notice a Samsung set with an acceptable picture at well under $1,000. Sorry that I don’t have more info.

If you are interested in the 36” direct view sets, I did spend a considerable amount of time evaluating them. I do think that some others in this forum might not agree with my views, but the Sony and Panasonic are so close that I sort of chose the Sony on the DVI input feature as much as anything (although I had convinced myself that the picture was better, I don’t think that I could have passed a blind test).

Hope that this helps,

Good Luck.

Mike Purfield

Auditioning
Well, that Samsung model I mentioned is actually a 42" RPTV. It's probably one of the smallest, if not the smallest, RPTV I've seen. It's only 108lbs and only 18" deep. So I think it could work out well in a small room. I looked at a similar model (the previous model of it I think) in the store and I rather liked the picture. Obviously it was just showing the typical low quality signal that they show on every TV. This model seemed to do one of the best jobs at handling the low quality picture, so I can only assume that the set would display HD content well. The only big problem I have with the small RPTV's is that they're pretty expensive considering the size. The models I saw in retail stores were basically the same price as the 50"+ HDTV sets. (Although $1440 from OneCall is pretty cheap) I know this isn't a very common set, so I'm sure I won't be getting a lot or replies. If anyone has any opinions on these smaller RPTV's, I'd sure like to hear them! Thanks!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
How far away are you going to sit 10-11'? If so, 42" might be a tad to small...if you are looking in the 1600 range, I'd suggest taking a look at the Panasonic 47" and 53" sets. I'll be getting the 53" model in November, an I sit 9' away from my TV.

Mike Purfield

Auditioning
Well, I looked at the Panasonic, and I think for the money, it's probably a better deal. The problem is, I'm not sure if I could get that to fit in my room. I don't like the idea of buying a lesser set simply because it fits, but the Samsung is 108 pounds and 17" deep. The Panny is 170 pounds and 24" deep. That would be a tough trip up the stairs, and getting it through the doorway would be equally difficult. Hmmm..

John-Miles

Screenwriter
My two cents worth is to look at the toshiba 32HFX71 or 72

very nice tv's im very pleased with my 36HFX71

and it should be in your price range

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Mike, did you end up going with the Samsung 4216W? I am interested because I was looking at this set in a flyer today and it fits my budget perfectly.

Chet Hayes

Agent
Before you buy a HDTV or HDTV ready unit, I suggest you carefully review your viewing habits. Do you watch a lot of DVDs or mostly cable, etc.?

Then determine exactly what programming you can receive in HD and how you can receive it (OTA, cable, sat, etc).

You don't want to find out after you spend a lot of money that what you watch isn't available in HD.

Mark Lehmkuhl

Stunt Coordinator
I like the Panasonic widescreens for the money also. But the last poster has a good point.

What are your viewing habits? Is it more important to you to have good tv viewing or good movie viewing?

If movies, then consider a widescreen hdtv. Its the ultimate viewing for them.

If tv is the most important, and especially if you want the best viewing possible for football or other sports, than 4:3 analog might be the answer.

Actually, you might ask yourself if you even need to get into hdtv today. Remember, we are still years away from total hdtv format.

My sister just bought a 36" direct view 4:3 analog set. She watches 85% tv, 15% DVD. She could not justify (for her) spending $1400 & up for a hdtv. Acutally a Tweeter salesman told her the same thing - buy an inexpensive tv and use it for 4 years, then get the big Kahuna! Today there is very little hdtv programming. Movies will still look great on analog tv's from dvd sources. In 4 years when the hdtv standard is in place, she will buy a hdtv and move the current tv into a bedroom or kids playroom.

Also current CRT based tv technology is at the beginning of the end.

I have a 6 year old 50" analog RPTV that I am 'riding out' for a few more years. It works great for tv watching, and with the rest of the $3500 HT setup, for DVD movies. It needed a repair recently, so I looked into today's tv market. Thank goodness it was only a $150 repair, because my conclusion was, after extensive research, that today is the worst time to be in the market for a new tv.

TV technology is rapidly changing. CRT based technology is at the beginning of the end (it will be around for years though, heck you can still buy VCR's today but why would you?). DLP, Plasma, LCOS, and other technologies have many more advantages over CRT (size, weight, less or no burn-in issues, better picture quality, etc.), and prices are coming down (plasma is dropping an average 25% each year and that trend is expected to continue). In a couple years these technologies will be price competitive with CRT, and out goes CRT. I couldn't afford DLP or plasma, but couldn't rationalize spending alot of money on a CRT HDTV. Luckily my tv was fixable

Seeing all the better tv technology out there, and the fact that in a few years it will be affordable has convinced me not to buy something new today. If I did, I would not spend alot of $$, and it would be an interim set with the idea of replacing it in 4 years.

So is this tv the end-all set for you for the next 10 years? If so, go hdtv.

If not, then consider something cheaper (but good quality) that will get yo9u by for the next few years.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
my conclusion was, after extensive research, that today is the worst time to be in the market for a new tv
It is the best of times, it is the worst of times....

I felt much the same way, Mark, but my TV died and I needed a replacement and there was no way I was going to buy another 4:3 set.

I bought a Toshiba 42h81 (42" widescreen RPTV). The shallow footprint (18 1/8") fit my small room, but the screen is large enough to give a nice, movie-like experience. The picture off DVD is stunning. The picture from satellite is also quite good...Tosh is better than many sets at making the best of a mediocre signal source...and is a definite improvement over my 35" direct view set.

Mike, I know what you mean about that shallow depth making a big difference in a small room. Panasonics are excellent, but those extra few inches of depth can make the difference between a TV that "fits" a room and one that stands out conspicuously.

My Toshiba fits beautifully into our bay window and is actually less obtrusive than the 35" direct view it replaced.

I had a great experience ordering from OneCall.com.

Jan

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
i just purchased the tosh 42h82 myself for $1708 at bestbuy.
very nice looking set to say the least.

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
i dont have regular cable, but i do have dish network. ill try to find some sports on and let ya know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks