What's new

Looking to buy DVD player...quick questions (1 Viewer)

Dan Belina

Agent
I'm looking to buy a DVD player. Don't really know much about TV's, A/V sources, and the like, but the TV I'll be getting won't be HD so I wouldn't need progressive output capabilities, correct? (Probably will end up with a 32FS-17 or something similar).

This in mind, it would be best to get a DVD player with component output, correct? Also, I have hopes of setting up a good speaker system as well as I get the funds, so the DVD should have the required audio outputs for high quality audio as well.

Any recommendations? Think I could find something that fits the bill for $300 or less?

Thanks!

What's this chroma bug I keep reading about? I'd like to avoid that too in buying a DVD player

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
Component is usually the best input, assuming that your TV has one. The Panasonic DVD players seem to be very well liked; the RP62 would probably be a good fit for you.

The "chroma bug" is not important, imo. Most DVD players on the market have it (including some expensive videophile priced units) and if it were that big of a deal then the manufacturers would have corrected it by now.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Currently you can get the SACD able Link Removed for only $150. Great player for the price IMO.

Dan Belina

Agent
Excellent...thanks for the input. Does the DVD player need any sort of special features for the different display modes (16:9, etc..) or does the TV handle that.

Mike-grouse

Stunt Coordinator
If your not getting an HDTV there's no need for component cable unless you plan on purchasing an HDTV later.

Use S-Video as you won't see a difference from component when using standard definition. Don't believe, cables are returnable, just buy both and return the more expensive cable.

Later and good luck.

By the by, do not buy a pro-scan player unless your TV your getting has HD capability and can show the full resolution. If it doesn't and you do get pro-scan dvd you'll see distortion issues.

Test material for this is SAving Private Ryan the frirst town the go to has cobble brick wall. A proscan player on a standard def TV will distort a bit when diplaying these. Only a few expensive p-scan can do both right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks