looking to buy complete Direct TV system, just a couple questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dane_D, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Dane_D

Dane_D Extra

I just bought my Mits 65819 and want to go satelite over cable. I just have a few questions.

How much HD programming is on Direct TV? I know about HBO, but what else is there?

I know I have to pay extra for my local Boston stations that will not be broadcast in HD, but are thee any major networks being broadcast over Direct TV that are in HD? ie.CBS east/west?

What about the ESPN Sunday night NFL? I hear how great that looks, is that HD?

Does anyone know who in the Boston/Worcester/Providnce/Nashua/Hartford area has the Zenith 1080 box in stock? or know a reputable online company where I could order one?

Is the blockbuster deal worth it or should I just purchase the oval dish at the same place I get the Zenith receiver?

I will be buying a second low end analog receiver for my 32" Sony as well, do I need to buy a multiswitch or will I have everything I need when I buy the oval dish itself?

Any ideas are appreciated as I want to buy this stuff ASAP. The Pats are in the playoffs and I want to have some post seaon parties with the big screen!!

2. Uchendu Nwachukwu

DirecTV has two HD channels; HBO-HD and HDNet. HDNet is a part-time sports-oriented channel. At night it gives way to HD-PPV movies.
    There is no other content in HD (except a demo HD channel).
    If you are looking for HD content, Dish Network may be a better choice. They have HBO-HD, SHO-HD, a couple of HD-PPV channels and HD-CBS NY/LA (if you qualify).
    Can't really help you with your other queries, but I can recommend you visit DBSForums.com for answers to just about every question you may have about DirecTV.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Since you need a second, non-HD receiver the Blockbuster deal is perfect for you. Just make sure you ask for the Para Todos dish (you don't actually have to sign up for Spanish programming). This will save you the cost of a basic receiver, a $150 dish and basic installation.
    The oval dish has everything you need for up to four tuners. I have to use "tuner" instead of "receiver" since the DirecTivos need two runs of coax from the dish/switch to receiver.
    Take Uchendu's advice and check out DBSForums. You will find out that Dish has added hundreds of local channels and had to increase compression to accomplish this. Picture quality is suffering according to a lot of customers. Also Dish uses two separate dishes to get all of the programming and that has a very low WAF (Wife Approval Factor). DirecTV also added about the same number of channels but they launched a new spot-beam satellite to take care of all of the local channels. This frees up transponder space on the other satellites so they can lower compression and increase picture quality.
    One of the best places to find HD information is AVS Forum. They have sections dedicated to hardware and programming.
    Finally, calibrate your TV! This will prevent image burn in.
    -Robert