Looking to buy a washer/dryer and *completely* clueless

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Tyner, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I'm looking to buy a $135K house, but I only have around $20K saved up, and I really want to put 20% down and still have a few grand in the bank. This is going to take me a little over a year or so to get where I want.
    In the meantime, I'm renting an older house. I'd really like to buy a washer and dryer, and if I were in a newer place, I don't think I'd really have much in the way of questions. As I'm in an older place (not sure when it was built, but...errr...not any time recently), I think I'm limited in terms of the connections I can use. Since I'm clueless, I thought I'd post a couple of pictures in the hopes that one of you kind folks could tell me what I need to look for when shopping or if there's anything I need to get installed/fixed/changed/whatever first.
    I guess the most obvious course of action would be to call my landlord and ask, but then I'd have to get up, grab the phone, and...what fun would that be?
    Anyway, this first shot is of the connections where the dryer goes. This all seems pretty standard, I think.
    [​IMG]
    This is where the washer fits in. I have no idea what I'm looking at.
    [​IMG]
    Under the sink, which seems to feed whatever the hell that big white thing is in the previous shot:
    [​IMG]
    Another problem is that there isn't one of those 3-pronged power outlets nearby, just this:
    [​IMG]
    I know they have adapters, but I'm a little hesitant to use one with a washer.
    I'd really hate to have to use a laundromat or something for the next 15 months or whatever, but I'll do it if you think I should hold off.
    Thanks for any help you can provide! Also, feel free to laugh at my inability to take photos and/or the condition of the house I'm in.

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

That hole is where the exhaust hose from the dryer connects. The "big white thing" is the drain tube. The hose from the washer would feed into it and that's where the dirty water goes. As for the outlet, I definitely think you'll have to get a grounded outlet installed. I wouldn't use one of those grounding adapters on an appliance drawing that much juice. I know you are only staying there temporarily, but when you do decide to buy a quality washer and dryer set, Maytag is the way to go. They last forever. My grandmother and mom's sets lasted well over 20 years. I wouldn't buy anything else.

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

The dryer hookup looks standard. Strange place for the dryer electrical, though.
    As Michael said, your best bet is to have the landlord upgrade the electrical for the washer to a grounded outlet. Of course, that will require fishing a ground wire through the wall, and then finding a place to ground it.

Regarding the set, I have the Maytag Neptune front loading washer, and matching dryer. It uses about half the water of a similarly sized top loader, and the dryer has moisture-sensing, that ensures your clothes never get that "too-dry" smell. It was definitely worth the extra money, and it's something you can take with you to your new home. The savings in water and electrical use over the lives of the units, will make them pay for themselves.

Todd

4. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Where can you buy a 115 V dryer??? I have never heard of one. Are you sure there isn't a 240 V outlet nearby? If not it appears you are only set up for those teeny stacked washer/dryer setups.

My washer/dryer and fridge are all Roper which is a line made by westinghouse I believe. All three have been running perfectly since I bought them 12 years ago. Not high end or very expensive but reliable.

About the only feature I would demand in a dryer is auto dry sensing. Great feature.

5. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I think I'm going to grin and bear it...stick with the laundromat for another 15 months and then get a washer/dryer when I move into my yet-to-be-determined new house. Thanks for the replies!

6. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Adam, not to change the subject, but it would be foolish to wait that long as interest rates are only going to go back up anyway. My wife and I are buying a house (closing next month), putting only 5% down and getting a second mortgage on the amount over 80%. As it turns out, the interest payment on the 2nd mortgage (which is actually a home equity line of credit) is less than the PMI on a 95% loan.

So by waiting that long, you will be throwing money away in the form of rent and in the form of a higher interest rate when you close.

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

He should be ok on the dryer's electrical connection, he's got one of the bigger boxes below the dryer vent. As for the washer, couldn't he ground it to one of the water pipes? Just use an adapter and connect the ground using a plain wire? Maybe not optimal, but it could work for the short term.

As for the brand, I have good success with Kenmore. One nice thing about their stuff is you can buy parts from sears, or order them online, and maintain them yourself for many, many years. Me and my dad kept their dryer running for 30 years just by replacing a few parts every now and then. I bet we spent less than $100 on parts. There are some other brands that you can do this with too, so you might want to do some research.

However I really like what I've heard about the Maytags like Todd mentioned. They cost quite a bit, but if do last a long time, they should be well worth it. I'd like to go that route when I buy my next set. My current set of Kenmores will probably last a good while longer, and I bought them used for a only few hundred 5 years ago, still it'd be nice to get something more environmentally friendly.

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

As for brand I'd say whirlpool. I bought my first set last year, my mom has had them for years without a problem so has my sister. I used to rent them for my apartment but figured it would pay for itself in about a year so might as well just buy it. Its good since I'm going to buy a house this year when my lease is up.

9. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

I'll also recommend the Maytag Neptune front loading washer, and matching dryer. I got mine in '99 and I'm very happy with the investment. I would also recommend waiting for your new house. See about getting a gas hookup in your new house for the dryer and getting the gas Neptune dryer. That's the route I took and I'm pretty sure it's saved me some moola over the years.

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

We bought a Maytag Neptune and they are absolutely indestructable. You will pay more for the Maytag name but they will last you 20+ years w/o trouble. I doubt Washer/Dryer technology will change that much by the type you need another to replace it [​IMG]

11. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

12. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Kudos on Maytag. I have their stackable washer/dryer model and it works great! Only problem is that the closet space originally built in my place for a stackable washer-dryer wasn't wide enough for the Maytag! I had to trash a wall to fit the darn thing! Luckily, one side was actually a non-supporting wall with no electrical connections inside. It was just a matter of removing the wall, then add a spacer and a plywood panel to cover up the hole.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm trying to figure out why in the world would you want to buy your landlord a new washer/dryer?

Have you told them that they are broken?

I wouldn't do it. Use a laundromat for the next year or so till you can afford a house. Seriously, it would cost you less to use "a laundry service that delivers - wow!" (hilarious Arnold Scwartzenegger quote from Batman Forever) for a year than buy a set.

Or get some creative financing and buy the house sooner rather than later.

For God's sake do not buy a major appliance for a rental unit.

14. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

15. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

16. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Maytag is really good. Whirlpool is almost as good and a lot cheaper. Both Sears and Costco use Whirlpool as OEMs. Consumer Reports rates the other brands lower than these two.

There are two kinds of dryers: electric and gas. What is most common in your area? You would hate to pay $$$ for an electric dryer only to find the house you buy has fittings for a gas dryer. (A gas dryer typically is cheaper to operate.)

Typically people replace washer/dryers in pair even when only one craps out. If you don't care about mismatches, you should be able to pick up a used set for $100. Much better than wasting time at a laudromat.

17. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

18. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

There are ways to get out of leases, especially if you can just find someone to take your place.

19. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Yeah, but I'm not really itching to leave, even if it's a decision I'll regret later. [​IMG]

20. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Gotcha....

If you're planning on buying a house keep in mind that it will have a washer/dryer as part of the deal 9 out of 10 times. If you buy a set now you may end up being stuck with it.