1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a used Laserdisc player. Which one?????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottJH, Sep 14, 2001.

1. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    I am looking into buying a used Laserdisc player. Was wondering what a good model would be. Would like to spend no more than $300.00 US. Must have S-Video output. Will be watching mainly the Star Wars SE Trilogy on it. Don't know if I want to spend the extra money for a demodulator, so I would like your thoughts on models with and without AC-3 output. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

Scott,
    If you are interested in the SE edition of Star Wars, and don't want AC-3, maybe you should just get the THX versions, or the CAV edition in the form of the Definitive Collection, unless you need to have the SE. I recently got a player myself, off of the HTF classifieds, it is a Mits 7057, has DTS and AC-3, S-video et al and an AC-3 demodulator. I watched Phantom Menace last night, it was absolutely incredible. For your budget of $300, you should be able to get a decent player and a demodulator, ask Gregg Loewen, one of the moderators here, about the Sony pre-amps he was selling that have AC-3RF digital inputs. Rachael B. is an incredible source of info here and at AVS forum. Search through the laserdisc player threads and you will find out everything you want to know about LD.
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Daryl

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Thank you for the sparkling introduction Daryl! Scott LD is a composite format. Only really good and great LD players have a useful comb filter on board to create a S-Video output. The player Daryl just got is a clone of the Pioneer CLD-D704. The 704 is proably the least expensive player available that has a credible comb filter on board. Your TV's comb filter will beat most LD comb filters, which means you'll proably want to use composite output. The comb in the 704 will beat some TV's. You just have to try both and see.
    I'd recommend you try for these Pioneer CLD's that come with an AC-3 output: 79 & 704. They're in your price range, maybe? The 79 is an Elite model with some improvements over the 704, shielding, build quality, ect. The perforance is roughly the same, the 79 is a little better.
    If you want to skip the AC-3 output, try for the older CLD's : 703, 702, or 95. All the players I'm recommending have above average pic quality. Lesser players that are pretty good, CLD's: 59, 604, 406, 605, 606, 505, DVL's 909 & 919 which all have AC-3.
    The STAR WARS films sound great in PCM Pro-Logic. Many people vastly under estimate how good Pro-Logic can sound. The Special Edition looks best, but the THX remasters look fine and have the original movies. I have both. A demodulator will cost you $150 to $250, proably, I'd put that on the back burner and concentrate on getting a good player that will reproduce the visuals well.
    Read the forum's Laserdisc Faq's too, best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

4. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Thanks for the help Daryl and Rachael. Leaning towards best picture quality and not worrying about the AC-3 output. Rachael was wondering how are the 701?

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

If you can find one, I would recommend the CLD-79 Laserdisc player. It works well for me. Great picture and great sound, at least the analogue sound is good, as I haven't tried a digital soundtrack yet. I am just putting together my digital surround receiver and speakers and will report on that later. I am sure I will be happy with the as good or better than DVD quality sound [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Chris PC on September 15, 2001 at 12:09 AM]

6. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Scott, the 701 is pretty old, I think a 1991 model. It's successors the 702, 703, and 704 are all a year newer and each a little improved. The 703 and 704 are pretty much identical except the 704 has the AC-3 output. The similar Elite CLD-79 is worth keeping an eye out for too. It's faceplate is different but inside it's quite similar. I saw one on consignment for $350 in a local A/V salon last winter. I told a forum member about it and they bought it. I don't have a hot tip for you today, but similar deals must be floating around. I think I would hold out for a newer model than the 701. Feel free to e-mail me and ask advice about any model you might run across. Best wishes from Laserland!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

8. Paulus

Paulus Agent