What's new

Looking to buy a router... (1 Viewer)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I just have a quickie question. Also, maybe some of you could piont out some obvious things for me to look for.
I better point out that I have a way of making it sound like I know less than I do. :) I am full aware of the purpose of a router, how to use one and many of the functions and possibilities of a router. I just need to learn some of the fine lines.
My only question for now is do I need an adjustable depth stop? I assume I will if I understand what exactly this accomplishes. Here's the link to a pic I found of this forum. I'm thinking this will get what I need around the outside where the tweeter will go..
Link Removed
Any other tips anyone wants to throw out will indeed help. Like I said in another thread, I do have tools, just not a router.. which appears would be VERY handy.
Here's what I'm looking at on a first glance.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Real quick, here's a visual to point out exactly what I'm thinking an adjustable depth stop will help recreate (with varying depths):
Link Removed

Buy a router that has a depth rod or a locking collar. This way you can adjust the depth of the plunge.

Make sure you use carbide blades for cutting MDF. The tool steel blades dull very very fast.

Good luck,

Jeff

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
An adjustable depth stop is OK, all plunge routers come with them, but I certainly wouldn't base my buying decision on it. They are only a convenience. Unless you are doing a lot of the exact same cuts, they can take longer to set up than just making the cuts themselves. For multiple passes of a cut out, a simple eyeing up is sufficient. For the depth cut for a flush driver, the cut is usually shallow enough to do in the first pass anyway.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks