What's new

Looking to build a system::: $1000+/- for mains (1 Viewer)

RyanH

Grip
Hello everyone. I am looking to build a nice home theater system for my bedroom. My current TV is only a 24inch sony flat screen (bought new about 2 years ago). But I plan to later upgrade to a 30inch(give or take) widescreen for the bedroom. My main home theater im not even going to begin worrying about at this point (im only 20).

I consider myself an audiophile, having invested already $2000 in a spectacular 2-channel headphone setup (which should rival $10,000+ speaker setups in many ways). I already have a good dvd source (phillips 963sa). I am very picky about my sound and would like to spend a lot on every component, because i realize how important every component is... but I just dont have the money at this point and I'm going mad without a nice home theater system (i used to live with my grandpa who had a decent setup... i got addicted to watching movies). The setup I want to build will be primarily for home theater and not for music... although there will be occasional music being played... So i dont want to count the musical side out. But I will generally be listening to my headphones for music.

Anyhow, im looking to buy this system piece by piece. Starting off with an amp and the mains. I've alraedy picked my amp out. The outlaw audio 7100 amp with the outlaw 950 preamp , which is rated at 100watts x7 @ 8 ohm (165wattx7 @ 4 ohm). I think that amp should have adequite power for a small room and be good with the speakers that I can afford at this point. I should also mention that I already know which subwoofer I will be getting... which is some sort of an svs sub. My grandpa has a pc+ and its spectacular.

So I want to start off with the mains. I nearly have the money for the amp, so i'll have that soon. So I need to figure out which mains I will choose. Im looking to spend about $1000 on the mains. The prices on the bookshelf/center speaker is not a concern, as long as the mains are appx $1000. So what seems to be the best bang for buck out there for about a grand (for mains)??? It doesnt have to be right at a grand.. Im really looking for something in the $800 - $1400 range for the mains. Any ideas? Thanks!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Since you are already going with an Internet-direct company (SVS) for your sub, you might consider doing the same thing for your other speakers.

In your price range I’d consider ACI Emeralds ($700/pr) or Sapphires ($1,300/pr) Ascend 340s (their models are not quite so expensive), Axiom (I’ve not personally heard their products, but they have a good reputations) or Rocket 250 ($700/pr), 550 ($900/pr—these are floorstanders), or even 750s ($1,500/pr--also floor model).

RyanH

Grip
Where is the best place to get the ACI speakers or the Axiom speakers?

Those swans look really nice! Im all about these "internet-direct" companies.. They seem to rule the bang/buck ratio. Thanks for the replies both of you! This is exactly what im looking for.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
I'd take a look at B&W DM604s...definitely a decent set of speakers. Work really well for Music and are great for HT too. Plus the extra two bass woofers on the towers give you a nice omph for when listening to music. See if you can go give them a listen.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Given the B-Stock sale at AV123 i'd probably go with the 750s and 150s as surrounds. You could probably put together a whole 5ch speakers system for less than the regular price of the 750s!

BryanZ

Screenwriter
For HT, among the best speakers I've heard (and own, I might add :D) are the nOrh 4.0 video package that goes for $850 delivered in either ceramic or wood. The marble 4.0 package goes for $1,600 delivered. Main problem is people either love or hate the looks. There is very little in between.

RyanH

Grip
Thanks for the help everyone. I am going to further investigate each of your reccomendations and figure out which is best for me. I'll be sure and let you all know what I end up with and how I like it. Thanks again!

cabreau

Second Unit
Boston Acoustic VR-3's. My friend has some and they are outstanding. From the different speakers that I've heard (I haven't heard $1000 B&W's), I'd put those as the best value at the $1000 range. Paradigm Studio 60's are nice too, but they are about $1400 and don't sound any better than the Bostons (this coming from a Paradigm owner and fan).

BobAlbano

Second Unit
www.av123.com has a "b" stock pair of Onix Ref 1's on sale for $900.00....this speakers normally sell for 1.5K and will compete with speakers at B&M stores at 2 to 3 times their price. If you looking for speakers that are capable of true hi-rez reproduction these are it IMO. You have gotten some really great advice here already on the other internet direct companies as they all represent a very good product for the money. Good Luck with your decision! :cool:

Ryan T

Second Unit
If you want the best bang for your buck and have some wood working skills then DIY speakers are the best :D. Also if you are really picky about your speakers then you should probalby auditon what ever speakers you get before you buy. Unfortunatly with most mail order speakers thats not possible. Maybe you can find people in your area that have the speakers your intersted in.

Ryan

cabreau

Second Unit
Most mail-order companies let you audition for free for 30 days. You just have to pay the shipping if you don't like them. (Hey, 4 weeks of auditioning speakers that you can return for $30 isn't a bad deal).

RyanH

Grip
I dont really want to do anything DIY at this point.

I am looking closely at the SWAN Diva 6.1's. The Rocket 750's: or onix reference 2 B-stock (towers).

My main concern, that i should have mentioned previously, is listening fatugue. I built my whole headphone system around the idea that it would not fatigue my ears (im a musician, my ears go through enough). So I would like to keep that in mind while purchasing my speakers. Between the Swans + Rocket 750's + Onix Reference 2's... Which should have the lowest level of fatigue (in other words, which is the least "bright").

Maybe im asking this in the wrong place but, are there particular budget (budget being under $1500) HT amps out there that are known as being less fatigueing than normal? If so, thats what i need to look into.

Also, I dont know much about by-polar speakers (i know plenty about the mental disability though!! stupid stepmom). Would those have to be mounted on a wall? If so, that could potentially cause a problem in the future and I would want to stay away from them.

Thanks for all the wonderful responses everyone, way more than I ever could have asked for... Ive frequented quite a few forums in my day and have never gotten so many helpful responses.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The original Rocket 750s are warmer than the Swan's 6.1s, but the Swans are by no means considered bright. If you have a B&W dealer around take a listen to the Nautalis 804s and 803s and you'll get an idea of how the 6.1s sound. The newer Signature Rocket 750s are going to have more treble energy than the regular 750s, but still not bright. I've never heard the Onyx Refferences but i've read that they tend to be on the bright side.

Speakers make up about 90% of the sonic character of a system. Amplification is not going to tame a bright speaker or energize a warm one. The differences from one amp to another in bightness/warmth will be minimal when properly calibrated. The 6.1s are 2-3db more sensitive and will require roughly half the amplification to get to a specific volume compared to the 750s, but either will reach refference level fairly easliy in a reasonable size room with adequate amplification.

Bipolar/Dipolar surrounds are meant to be wall mounted. I personaly prefer monopole (standard) speakers for surround since most speakers in this price range image very well and offer better localization for rear effects. They are also preffereable for SACD and DVD-A multichannel music.

Hope this helps :)

RyanH

Grip
Thanks for the reply steve.

Knowing that the rockets are warmer than the swans settles that. Rockets over swans for me.

Regarding your statement on amplification:

It really depends upon what level of sound reproduction you are at. The higher end the system, the more each component will change the overall sound... For instance: You will hear the difference between redbook+SACD far more on a high end system than you would on a low end system. So, when getting into higher end stuff... anything/everything will tame/energize the sonic characterstic. I think this happens much earlier with what im used to (headphones)... And id probably have to start getting into $10,000 + speaker systems to hear easily audible difference between small components. With my headphone setup, merely changing a single tube can adjust the overall sound to however I like it... And i went through multiple cdp's that were too bright, while others that were perfect. Your statement on amplification is a little vast, but I guess it works with general HT (under $10,000).

And thanks for the info on bi-polar. Looks like I want bookshelfs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks