What's new

Looking To Build A Basic System (1 Viewer)

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Hi Guys,

Several months ago you guys helped me out with some suggestions and just want to be sure I am on the right track. Currently I have:

46" Samsung TV with a HD sat. reciever--excellent picture!

2 tower Sound Dynamic speakers and a matching Sub being used for stereo with an old Kenwood receiver

Now, what am wanting to do is use the existing speakers and improve on the sound quality a bit. We don't play games or watch a lot of movies but would like a bit better sound.

Considering adding:

Onkyo TX-NR509 $190 at Accessories4less.com

KEF C6C center speaker $150 at the same retailer

The budget under $400 so I know I won't have the best sound possible (and it won't be a true surround sound) but think it will be an improvement. I have heard good things about Onkyo but is there a comprable Samsung set up that is as good or better in our price range?? Any advice is appreciated as we will likely go with this combo quite soon.

Thanks!!

P.S. Is there a center speaker that is not quite as tall as the one mentioned above?? I'd like a thinner design to place in front of the tv if possible.

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Umberto Smith
I would look at the older Harmon Kardon AVR100 or AVR225 models. They have much better sounding amplifier sections than the onkyo even though they are an older deisgn.
As for a center channel you can get a nice one for about 80$ on ebay. Its the Paradigm Cinema 110CV3...For that price you won't be sorry and you might even get the job done under budget.
The sound dynamics are an oldy but goody speaker. Running a center and two mains will give you a lively movie experience. Good luck.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, unless you have a BD player, you don't "need" a new receiver.
Anything with digital inputs up to 15 years old has Dolby Digital. You don't even need DTS processing if you don't have a DVD player. But, most of the "real receivers" from 15 years ago still have DTS anyway.
There are plenty of options used. Now if you need/want HDMI switching, then you need more more than 5 years old.
You certainly don't "need" a new in the box receiver.
So, is buying a used gem on Ebay or Craigslist something you are willing to do?

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Another suggestion for the center speaker... it may not apply to you. Is there a set of speakers that you would upgrade to if you could? I ask this because if there is a particular set then buy the matching center for those speakers so that when you eventually do upgrade your mains you will have a matching set. This is always a good way to slip one past the wife as well as it makes more sense to upgrade so all the speakers match...

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Number1AVdork /t/323189/looking-to-build-a-basic-system#post_3965365
I would look at the older Harmon Kardon AVR100 or AVR225 models. They have much better sounding amplifier sections than the onkyo even though they are an older deisgn.
As for a center channel you can get a nice one for about 80$ on ebay. Its the Paradigm Cinema 110CV3...For that price you won't be sorry and you might even get the job done under budget.
The sound dynamics are an oldy but goody speaker. Running a center and two mains will give you a lively movie experience. Good luck.
O.K. I like the ideaof the Paradigm center........watching one on Ebay right now. I'lllookat the Kardon units also. Just a thought, what aout this: Pioneer vsx-822-k ?? Reason I ask is that I can get it just about free with some Air Miles we have saved up. I don't want to jmp on it if it is not good though just to save a few $$. thoughts??

Thanks!!

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/323189/looking-to-build-a-basic-system#post_3965369
Well, unless you have a BD player, you don't "need" a new receiver.
Anything with digital inputs up to 15 years old has Dolby Digital. You don't even need DTS processing if you don't have a DVD player. But, most of the "real receivers" from 15 years ago still have DTS anyway.
There are plenty of options used. Now if you need/want HDMI switching, then you need more more than 5 years old.
You certainly don't "need" a new in the box receiver.
So, is buying a used gem on Ebay or Craigslist something you are willing to do?
factory refurb is fine with us--done that many times in the past. Eventually do want to go with a BR player. Would really like the tv sound to be controled by the HT remote--right now I have to mute the tv and then mute the old receiver it is going through. Woul like to keep the stereo seperate from the tv--hence the desire for a dedicated HT system.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is a good choice...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271040763410?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I'm watching it cause I want to know what it eventually goes for. This one will do all that you ask. The remote is "basic" by today's standards, but all the TV, BD, DVD, CD etc functioning is there...just no macros. If you can live with 2 HDMI...you'll "never" need to replace it.
I have one of these in a bedroom 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks