looking suggestions well recorded rock/alt rock

Discussion in 'Music' started by AricB, Jun 30, 2004.

1. AricB

AricB Second Unit

I'm playing with some settings and switching between a 2ch and 2.1 ch setup and am looking for suggestions what cd's you consider well recorded or a good test disc. My collection is listed at the link below, should give an idea of musical tastes. thanks.

2. gregD

gregD Second Unit

King Crimson -- The Power to Believe

3. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I like to use:

Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee
    Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom
    Queensryche - Empire
    Rush - Counterparts
    Giant - Time To Burn
    Aerosmith - Big Ones

I use these when I'm tuning a live sound system.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Aric, I had trouble getting through to your collection... However, I pose this question, what's the nature of your sub?subless test?

Next, have you waundered www.cdbaby.com much? Do you have have:

...anything by the Cadillac Hitmen?
    Get them and the Suitcase Pimps' LOVE IS GRAND at CD Baby.
    Fabulous Poodles' THINK PINK if you can find it.
    Nine Nine Nine THE GREATEST PRIZE IN SPORT
    Wallflowers any one, they have an intresting new hybrid.
    Speaking of hybrids, do ya got's the new acoustic Godsmack?
    Altered Images, COLLECTED IMAGES is a nice start...

If you like instrimentals, how 'bout Derek Trucks Band's JOYFUL NOISE? Brand X can be prone to UNORTHODOX BEHAVIOR.

If ya's likes surf, there's some good ones at CD Baby, me thinks... The Torquays perhaps???

Icehouse S/T
    Mojo Nixon

...my brain hurts, I can't tink anymoor write now.[​IMG]

5. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Tool - Lateralus
    Staind - Break the Cycle
    Korn - Follow the Leader / Issues (good deep bass for 2.1)
    Stone Temple Pilots - Core (DVD-A)

6. AricB

AricB Second Unit

Rachael, just got a new reciever which offers crossover to use the sub, so trying to get all the settings dialed in with some well recorded music. dont know which i prefer 2 or 2.1, so want to test both with some material, but sometimes I second guess my opinion of what is WELL recorded material, sometimes when I change audio equipment and suddenly everything sounds different. havent checked out either of those SACD's yet, but on the list to do.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Aric, when I adjust sub's, I always play Maddona's EXOTICA at some point. It's so over bass-y that it's a good barometer of how the settings will handle ludicrous speed bass. I also like to listen to Stanley Clarke's SCHOOL DAYS with his variety of bass insuments.[​IMG]

8. AricB

AricB Second Unit

I'll check it out just cause you used my favorite word, ludicrous. thanks, everyone, for all the info.

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I'll second Kyle's nomination of Queensryche and Eric Johnson. In fact, Empire may be the best recorded Rock cee-dee I own. The way the kick drum and the bass are in lock step is incredible.

And I'll add a few of my own.

Thomas Dolby - Aliens Ate My Buick (very tight, solid synth bass, and good tunes to boot)

Dream Theater - Train of Thought (my 1st DT title, hated by lots of die hard DT fans, but it kicks ass, IMHO)

Guns and Roses - Use You Illusion 1&2 - Bass and Drum slam like you don't hear much anymore

BGL

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey aric -

try just about anything from sting. i find his recordings to be so pristine and clean...almost to a fault. but you'll defintely give the system a good test.

off-topic: how do you like guzzlefish? seems pretty cool, but i'm curious how easy it is to add/edit your collection? i didn't see any info about how it's done on the site...

11. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Aric,

This maybe the best produced rock album I've ever heard:

Shellac-At Action Park

It interchanges with the members exact precesion of tonality-Albini's guitar is spot on, an inimitable crystal crunch, unlike anything I've ever heard. It will make all other overblown DS-1 fueled haze romps sound boring. You can hear every single note (turn it up loud for the first note, a slide up the strings, then chomping through concrete). Weston's bass lollops at odd times, mixed loud, while Trainer's drums are pitch perfect, thundering and rumbling.

The CD is the exact opposite of current music-it's presented quiet. I'll assume that this is for the same reason that Dolby Digital soundtracks are more quiet than standard 2 CH-dynamics. This means the loud doesn't come from an artifical machine scumming up the edges-it comes from your receiver. I should note, however, that the vinyl is the way to go-it's a completely different experience.

In the same vein is Slint's Spiderland, a crisp recording of a tight band.

On the other end of the spectrum are albums like Washing Machine or Loveless that are all about creating a mood through production and sustaining it for the whole album.

12. AricB

AricB Second Unit

Thanks, Ike, I'm going to check Shellac out, I've actually been meaning to pick up one of the Big Black albums, no idea Steve Albini was in a band, if it's the same Steve Albini producer of pixies??

Ted, I think someone left one of the recent Sting cd's at my house, brand new day maybe, I'll check it out. Guzzle fish was ok, I just found it by viewing someone elses and saw it was free, and figured what the heck, never tired any other sites, so I couldnt compare, but I think they had just about everytitle I looked for.

Brian, is dream theater kind of like Porcupine Tree, I've heard some comparisons?? Have to pick up the UYI GNR, dont have them but I did listen to appetite, but it didnt sound so good, wasnt sure if it was the cd or my settings? I have the queensryche cd and dvda, i'll give them a spin, and maybe pickup eric johnson, I think it may be out on sacd or dvda? or was supposed to be released....

thanks, feel free to keep suggestions coming, going to try to do some listening this weekend.

13. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Have not heard Porcupine Tree yet, but I am hearing a lot of good buzz and its on my To Do list.

DT/ToT is serious hard rock, some might consider it metal, but I tend hate labels. Some may consider a lot of the guitar work as just a bunch of wankery, but I think it smokes.

The first cut I heard (As I Am) starts out with a riff that sounds like "Black Sabbath" from their Self Titled release. If you search the forum for Dream Theater, you will find the discussion when ToT came out. Based on that, I bought a couple of their earlier releases (stuff that the real DT fans suggested), and did not like it as much as ToT; way too polished IMHO.

UYI does not sound anything like Appetite. While I like Appetite, the sound quality for UYI trumps it be a wide margin. In fact, when I was dialing in the sub in my car, UYI and Queensryche/Empire were a couple discs that I used to make sure that I was happy. For me, hard rock requires a solid drum/bass integration; I want to feel the kick drum in my gut. UYI does not disappoint.

BGL

14. AricB

AricB Second Unit

good to hear, thanks, I will pick them up. I used to have them, but they got stolen along with 100+ others in the 90's and never replaced them??

15. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I have the In Absentia album from Porcupine tree on DVD-A and CD (the DVD-A is the way to go though) and its as good as everyone says. as far as comparing them to Dream Theater...kind of. its prog rock, but no insane solo tangents, just moody melodic music. really good though.

16. AricB

AricB Second Unit

I have the dvd-a also, i like it alot. i guess that's what i heard they were both prog rock?

17. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Hand over your credit card for the XRCD of Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms". The remastered CD is pretty good too.

18. AricB

AricB Second Unit

19. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  20. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Yes, he produced Surfer Rosa, which is my favorite Pixies album.