What's new

Looking into HD (1 Viewer)

Bsmooth

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce
Well I haven't been back here since lloking for info on a JVC 32" CRT and Toshiba DVD player.That was probably about 6 years ago,and I've been satisfied quite well.But the bug is getting in my ear and see more and more friends and coworkers buying HDtv's.
My JVC set works great and I really don't want to give up on it yet,so I'm doing this research behind its back so to speak.
I think after doing some reading that the LCD sets are what I'm most interested in.However I have a very small liv room.Its only about 8x11 and the distance where I watch is only about 6 feet away.
I really like the 1080P sets compared to the 720.Its like night and day,at least to me. I would like to get say a 30-40 inch set,but haven't seen many smaller sets so far.
Also would like to have speakers in the set too,they seem to help quite a bit in the dialogue part of movies.I always leave the tv sound on just a bit,almost like a fill flash in photography.
So with these parameters in mind what are your opinions and advice on brands,quality and reliability?

Bsmooth

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce
Wow been gone all this time and not even a welcome back?

C'mon 25 views and not one response?

How about a bump then!

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
OK - Welcome BACK
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

You didn't mention a price range... but check out the Sony Bravia 1080p line - you may find one you like in your price range (whatever that is). And they have speakers.

Bsmooth

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce
Well I didn't give a price range because really they seem to change so quickly.One model a friend had suggested,the KDL-40V3000 had gone for almost $1700 and now he tells me it can be had for around the $1350,maybe even under that.
I would like to spend less than that,but i'll just have to see how much there going to go down.
One brand that impressed me was the Sanyo sets at Walmart.They seemed to have about the same picture quality as the Samsungs right next to them.
How are they,and how do they compare quality wise to say Sony or Samsung?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Unlike yourself, Bruce doesn't plan to sit 6 metres from the screen.

There's an excel spreadsheet here that may help.

The THX spec recommends about a 54" screen. The same spreadsheet calculates that you need a 42" screen (viewed from 6 feet) before 1080p becomes important.

Keep in mind too, that a 150 inch screen is 11 feet wide.

Bsmooth

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce
Thanks to everyone,that spreadsheet really helps quite a bit.So it definately looks as If a 40 or 42 inch 1080P would be ideal. Now from what I've read and heard Sony,Samsung and maybe Philips are pretty high as far as quality goes.This is a fairly large outlay of money,so I would like it to last awhile.
I've always liked Mitsubishi for there CRT monitors.Are they also a good choice in the size range (40-42) that I'm looking at,and are there other brands which I should be looking into also?
As I said the Sanyo impressed me quite a bit for the price,how about them also?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks