Looking fro stands for my dipole rears...does BB have any good ones? Price?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Or am I better off going through online order? I need some stand that can be good for dipole placement as side/rears up to bout 42" I'd say.. any suggestions?

thanks!

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Keir, I think you'll be shocked at how few stands there are for this purpose. In fact, if you remove all the spindly telescoping weaklings from the mix, you're left with about one option. At least, this is the only decent stand capable of supporting my rear surround speakers, and which is 40" tall (sorry, I've not found ones any taller than that):
    The Atacama Nexus 40": http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...20Stand%20Pair
    My rear speakers weigh 28lbs, and these have no problem supporting them. They're fillable with shot/sand if you wish. The only downside I've found is no holes in the tubing for wire management purposes. $175.

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Dipoles are not meant to be placed on stands. They need to be mounted high on the wall (1-2 feet down from the ceiling). A 42" high stand won't get them above ear level.
    And if you need stands because they are not going by a wall, I might think about reconsidering placement. Dipoles are designed to work with the walls. Without the walls you will not get a proper difuse effect, you will just get 2 monopoles firing into the room in the wrong directions.

4. David Nash

David Nash Agent

David
    I just completed the exact search you are going through now for my Def. Tech BP2X di-polar speakers. Mounting on the walls at my house was not an option. They had been setting on the boxes my BP2004TL mains had come in, which were about 4 ft. tall. I wanted at least 40" stands and really liked the Atacama Nexus 40" stands. But $175.00 per pair is steep and they are not adjustable. I settled on the Omnimount 400-AH for $93.22 delivered. They adjust from 24" to 45" and work great. You can also fill them with lead shot for added weight and they do have cable management. Also, the top of the stand is 6" x 6" which gives better support for larger speakers. Here is the link.
    http://www.hififorless.com/acatalog/...OUNT_1322.html
    Good luck,
    David

5. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

thanks guys for the help! I do have one wall on my left side from sweet spot that actually pretty accomodating. The right side would be in 'free air space' though. I am just wanting to get them off the floor where they are now because my girl doesnt wnat them on the walls looking out of place and tacky (I dont blame her).. I guess I'll settle for some around 45" which is better than where they are now anyway because I am missing surround info. thanks again. Oh , the BB stands look a little cheap and are expensive.