What's new

Looking for wire... (1 Viewer)

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Anyone who frequents this boards knows that I'm no "believer" when it comes to cable differences, but I want to try some controlled listening tests with my friends. I want to build a DIY speaker cable based on a mixture of "recommended" parameters, such as multiple low gauge, solid OFHC copper conductors with teflon insulation in a braided configuration. So, can anyone suggest a source for 18 AWG OFHC (non-silver plated) copper wire with teflon insulation (preferrably in white)? I'm aware of the Cat5 cable with 24 AWG wire, but I want to use a design that doesn't require so much braiding work, thus I'm making a 4 wire cable (2-18 AWG for + and 2- 18 AWG for -). I'm assuming the result would be a total 16 AWG or better, which is what my "reference" Monster Cable "zip cord" is.
thanks
Jim

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Glad to see you try experimenting with cables. It's better to test them out first before making any conclusions. TBH -I my experiments, I have found that the sub cable makes the least amount of difference and that speaker cables to your mains will have the most pronounced effect.... Just my suggestion that you start with the mains..
GOOD LUCK
:emoji_thumbsup:
ELbert

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator
Also be sure to conduct your experiment with equipment that is worthy. ie: dont expect to hear a difference in wire when using your RCA home theater in a box. Generally the difference in cables can only be heard in very precise (expensive) systems. For 99% of the population, a quality wire is all that is required.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Jim, where'd you get the cash for an RCA system?? Just kidding. Any thoughts on how you plan to conduct your examination?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Jim,
Some more thoughts about this if you don't mind.
You might try Cardas for component parts. His wire is expensive but his RCA connectors are not bad. Also, you can find inexpensive Audioquest wire for around $1 a foot. That combined with good parts for termination would be a killer "value"-based cable with a minimum investment.
There are also some wire companies that I believe lend out cable like The Cable Company. Maybe you could borrow a cable from them or a local high end dealer to use as an "upper limit" cable. It would make an interesting data point for your test. Also, I would suggest you write down your thoughts as you conduct your test and maybe cover areas like:
:star: Soundstage capability
:star: Midrange purity
:star: high frequency sonics
:star: Bass response
:star: Any number of electrical based measurements or specs from the parts suppliers
:star: Overall realism
You may not believe in cable break-in, but maybe you should play music for a while just in case. That way if you don't get the sonic results you expect, your HTF audiophile fans can't argue that the wire was not properly broken in.
Also, I do think it would be helpful to get a list of the stereo equipment you use to run the test.
Just trying to keep things fair and friendly...
In any event, I hope you invent a new value cable and hear more of your system's music capabilities.
:)
Lee

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Jim,
How is your test going? :)
I thought you might enjoy some good things my hero George Cardas says about solid core cable being a good value. I think this may further support your quest for good value cable...
Solid Round
Advantages:
1. Simple construction.
2. Low DC resistance per unit area.
3. Good resistance to capacitance ratios achievable in most embodiments.
Disadvantages:
1. High relative inductance.
2. Stiff and likely to harden with use.
3. Solid conductors tend to ring, do to low "Q".
4. High DC to AC resistance ratio.
Given the best of associated materials, single/double solid core designs represent good "values".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks