What's new

Looking for volunteers for VideoGameDB.com (1 Viewer)

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I've created a site with my brother in law that aims to be the IMDb of gaming. I'm looking for people to volunteer helping with adding and reviewing games. You can add games and review them easily though entering the text right on the site. If a game has features that HTF people would be interested in, like 480p or 5.1 sound, you can check those options when adding the game. Anyway, please check it out and let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions:

VideoGameDB.com

The site has only just gone live this week so that's why there isn't a lot of listings./reviews yet, and all of the screenshots/boxshots haven't been uploaded yet.

Thanks
Jake

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Nice site. I tried adding a few games but kept getting error messages. One thing you might want to add in the future is a cheat code database.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
What error messages were you seeing? We haven't done a ton of testing but haven't seen many errors when adding games.

Thanks
Jake

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Jake,

I can't add any games. I get this error:

ADODB.Field error '800a0bcd'

Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record.

/include.asp, line 688

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Hey Jake,

What's the proper way to correct an entry? For example, Resident Evil is listed as being enhanced for 16x9 TVs when it is not.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Ahh! I thought I was reviewing for NBA Live 2003 but I guess commented on it, twice, can you delete both of those.

I reviewed NBA Live 2003, but just got an error. 20 minutes wasted :frowning:.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Looks like a great idea. One thing you might want to try is using the console ROM checking tools (GoodNES etc) to generate game lists for older consoles. They'll have complete listings (as well as some stuff that nobody else would have heard of) that can at least give you a basis to work from.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
just a hint for you guys writing long reviews....type them in Word or notepad or something first....sometimes the internet messes up and it would suck to loose it all because of that.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I've created a site with my brother in law that aims to be the IMDb of gaming.
That's a great idea for a website! I have one suggestion for though: more facts and less opinion would make it a better, more objective database.

It's just my opinion but lead off with more facts about each game. Sales numbers, developers, publishers, noteable personalities involved in the creation of the game (music, graphics, etc.), historical significance of the game, cheats & codes, etc.

Once you've loaded up each game with fact you can allow users to rate the game. Without a serious emphisis on facts it's just another review site. Personally, I find the whole database (i.e. "facts") thing much more interesting than just a collection of opinions (due to the fact that there's nothing new in review sites...it's been done).

Just my thoughts...great idea though. I look forward to viewing it's progress.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
more facts and less opinion would make it a better, more objective database.
I would definitely agree with that Jake. The more facts the better. I especially like the idea of sales figures, so forth and so on. I keep a healthy supply of that information around for personal use. If you care to dip into it, I'd be glad to compile and send what information I can to you.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
Thanks for the suggestions. Our intent was always a lot of facts, like the IMDb has for movies. Romier, I would love to add sales figures; any info you can send my way would be helpful.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I'd also like to see gameplay information, such as how many players can play the game as well as Memory Card requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks