Looking for very slimline wall mounting speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DanielG, Dec 5, 2003.

1. DanielG

DanielG Agent

I'm looking for some rear speakers. They need to be wall mounted (not in-wall) but stick out from the wall as little as possible and have a nice looking wood finish. I'm looking to spend between $400-1000. One retailer suggested the Canton Ergo F which has a 3.5 in depth and comes in a nice wood finish, but they didn't have those in the store to listen to. Anyone have any suggestions of other models/brands to look for (or comments on the Canton)?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Paradigm is releasing some wall-mount versions of their Monitor 5's, Mini Monitors, and CC-370, only problem is they're only available in Slate Grey or Gloss Black. Deftech has also released some thin on-walls designed to be used w/ plasma displays, but they're only available in silver.

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Magnepan/Magneplanar has some really nice wall mounted flat speakers.....Great quality too........not sure of the finishes available.

4. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Besides the electrostatic speakers, Acoustic Research used to have a line of speakers called the Phantom Series, which was a thin design that could be wall mounted.

5. anth_c

anth_c Stunt Coordinator

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    The Waltz by Vienna Acoustics fits the description (www.sumikoaudio.net) but it is $1,300/pr. list and more if you get the Rosewood finish. They have another series of such speakers that are thin but not made of wood as well. The Magnepans noted above (model MGMC1 - www.magnepan.com) are fabric with wood trim - Available in natural, black and dark cherry hardwood trim, with off-white, cherry-white, black and gray fabric options and list for around $725/pr.

7. Bill Wise

Bill Wise Agent

In the interest of full disclosure, we sell Canton speakers (among others). That having been said, I have the Ergos at my house and my father has the LE series. We love them.

Regards,

Bill

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

ACI has a wall mounted model (Emerald) that is only 5 ½” deep. A pair will set you back $700–$850, depending on the finish. I have not heard these but ACI has a very sound reputation and I’ve heard a number of their speakers over the years. They provide a fine value.

You can get a pair of Rocket 300s for $600 in either Rosewood or Ebony. They are wall mounted, adapative dipoles and are 6 ½” deep. If you ask they will wire so that all drivers are in phase. I own these and they are fine surround speakers.

Both ACI and Rocket produce speakers with very fine cabinetwork.

9. DanielG

DanielG Agent

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. In the couple weeks, though, wall mounted speakers for the living room have been rejected by my fiance and decorator from an aesthetic standpoint (I can't disagree) and so now I'm looking for in-walls - preferably with a closed box design like Triad.

10. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Monitor Audio makes sealed in-walls:

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...all/index.html

No idea of cost, but likely somewhat beyond your stated numbers.

And no idea of performance (there will never be in-walls in my home), but their other speakers sound glorious and are not overpriced by any means.

And just for fun, ditch the budget momentarily and have a peek at these big elaborate in-walls from James Loudspeakers:

http://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/

11. DanielG

DanielG Agent

Greg,

Thanks for the thoughts. Actually the Monitor Audio in-walls are around $400-500 so do fit in my budget and were under consideration - though I've heard they aren't shipping yet and I need the speakers to be installed within 2 weeks.

The James speakers look quite interesting. How much do the smaller ones cost? The larger ones look great, but given the greater importance of how it looks than how it performs, I need to keep the size to 10-14 in height. This isn't my primary HT system anyway so a bit of sacrifice on sound quality for the rear effect speakers in this room was acceptable. In this room, I was much more focused on great two channel sound and so dropped a lot on the speakers and amp for that purpose, so would prefer to keep the rears in a very moderate range.

Thanks,
    Dan

12. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Dunno how much the James cost... why not e-mail them for info?... I've never heard them, but there are some good reviews.

Too bad about the MA's... seems those in-walls have been shown on their site for the better part of a year... they really do make great-sounding bang-for-the-buck speaks.

Didn't read your first post closely -- I guess you're looking strictly for rears... it's not of utmost importance, but it might be worth trying for some measure of timbre-matching to your fronts/center... does the manufacturer of those make in-walls?

13. DanielG

DanielG Agent

Greg - good idea to send James an e-mail to get retail pricing info. I also have some dealer names and will call.

I've very critically auditioned a large number of high end bookshelf speakers ... top three in order are Red Rose Rosebuds, B&W Sig 805s and Dynaudio Special 25 (listened to Monitor Audio, Totem, Sonus Faber and a few others as well). I've now ruled out the Dynaudio as a bit too bright for my taste. I liked the B&Ws a lot and B&W certainly makes in-walls if I choose them, but after hours of listening to both I really ended up liking the Red Rose even more and they don't make in-wall speakers. The tweeters on those are ribbon tweeters. I could go crazy trying to match them I guess and given that these are the rears for movies and that I'll only probably be watching 20% of the movies on this system, I figured I'd just go with soft dome tweeters and a solid brand.