What's new

looking for very good hi-def projector (1 Viewer)

RYHD

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Hey guys,
Looking to one day build a home theater in my basement and I'm starting to budget out materials. What is a very good HD projector for watching standard and HD-DVD movies on. This theater would not have cable hook up just movie watching. My budget is around 1000 to 2000 dollars.

thanks

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
With your budget, I'll assume a 720p projector. But do you want DLP or LCD? Any special problems such as ambient light in the room, low ceiling, etc?

RYHD

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
7 ft ceiling. track lighting in what is a dark room. I want a good rich color in my picture for showing hd movies and standard. DLP or LCD...I don't know which is better. I know with tv's I would choose LCD in a second.

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Steinmetz
Look into an Infocus IN76. It's DLP based, not as flexible in terms of lens shift, but picture quality is very good for the price.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Since you prefer LCD TV's, you should get an LCD projector. I recommend either the Panasonic AX200 or the new Epson Home Cinema 720. They're both $1,299, and both are 720p LCD projectors. Be sure to read the reviews at Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com.

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Steinmetz
Not a fan of the Epson 720, had one at our shop for a while, and fine detail pq wasn't that great. I saw noise in the picture where I haven't before in other projectors.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Sanyo PLV-Z2000 is a 1080p projector and has manufacturers rebates for $600. Brings it down to around $1700 shipped depending on where you shop.

I'm torn between it and Epson 1080UB for $1000 more. I'd prefer the Epson for its brightness and black levels but spending $1k extra is a hard decision...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks