What's new

Looking for USB device with L/R audio inputs for recording from a tape deck. (1 Viewer)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
A few months ago I saw a device created by Creative Labs that was in essence like a mini recording device that you could plug into a USB port and that had a audio in port with left/rights channels. At the time I told myself to pick it up but of course did not. Now I can't find it.

What I'm trying to do is convert some of my tapes, i.e. live recordings, to CD. I've tried a few things but have had no luck.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks - Chet_F

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
What's wrong with using your existing soundcard? Even an integrated card has a 1/8" stereo input. Get yourself an RCA-1/8" stereo cable and connect your tape deck and see how that works.

It's not the absolute best in quality...just depends on what you need the final files for.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
After posting I decided to look into that and hooked up the tape deck directly to the line input of my soundcard on my desktop. When I play the tape I can hear it thru my speakers of my computer but I cannot record it. It's the weirdest thing. I've updated my sound card driver twice with no success. I know it's not the recording software because when I play back the recording I can barely hear a whisper of the recording. I've adjusted the line input setting in the volume control panel to the highest setting. Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

At this point I either get something for the laptop or buy another soundcard neither of which work with my current pocket book.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
If you're using XP, try recording from the "Wav Out" or "What U Hear" channel on the recording mixer (it'll be called different things with different soundcards). That way any sound coming through your soundcard will be transferred to the recording. Just make sure you don't have any background sounds (email notifications etc) that will play while you're recording.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Mark, I'm using this software:
http://www.fridgesoft.de/harddiskogg.php

It's called HardiskOgg.

Mike, I don't see an option for recording "Wav Out" or "What U Hear" - I've looked at the volume controls but do not see anything.

Any other ideas. I think I'm up a creek without a paddle.... :frowning:

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Have you made sure that all the recording channels are being displayed in the Windows mixer? Open the mixer, click Options/Properties and click the recording radio button and make sure all the boxes are checked at the bottom, then click OK.

If it's not there, then apparently your soundcard has limited recording inputs.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
The only two programs I see in Windows XP is the sound recorder, and volume control. Where would I locate the windows mixer? I have a sound blaster PCI128 sound card. Sounds like it doesn't have the capability to record the input, which is really strange. Needless to say I'm a bit frustrated:angry: .

Can you recommend any cheap soundcards that can record the input?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I guess the volume control is the correct name for it. Some soundcards label it as the Windows Mixer. You get to it by double clicking the volume icon in the taskbar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks