What's new

Looking for updated subwoofer output data (1 Viewer)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
In searching the forums for subwoofer output data, the most recent one I could find is this post. Later in that thread it is commented that some of this data is out of date. Does anyone have a list with more up to date output numbers that can be posted or linked to?
Thanks,
Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Okay, let me explain my motives. I am in search of a subwoofer to handle any present LFE (.1) channel and the bass from my "small" center speaker. I already own two 10-month old ACI Titan IIs which I plan to keep to "fill in" my mains, so I can have full-range "mains" for 2 channel stereo in analog bypass mode.

So, I am looking for a "box" subwoofer with very good output for movies. I would like the new sub to be black and to cost no more than $1500 US (preferably closer to $1000). I am considering a custom-built solution, but I would like to see what's available on the market before going down that route.

Thanks,

Michael

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Why do you need another sub when you already have a pair of Titan II's???

Just have your receiver redirect bass to those subs.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Richard,

The problem for our setup is that we prefer to have the Titan IIs fill in the bottom octave or so for our main speakers, with our preference geared towards music. Since we like to use the analog bypass mode for our CD player, we are bypassing bass management within our processor. Doing so also means setting too low of a crossover on the Titan IIs with respect to the LFE channel.

Also, while the Titan IIs are some of the best subwoofers I have ever heard when listening to music, they do not have great impact during movies, even when both are combined. Don't get me wrong, they are good for HT but not great. We use to own an M&K MX-125mkII that was nowhere as good as the Titan IIs for music but had greater impact for movies.

I have considered selling one of the Titan IIs and get another sub to replace it, thereby saving on the cost. Either way, we would like better impact during movies which is why I am considering a 3rd sub for our system.

Michael

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

There aren't many box subs that I can think of in your price range that would offer truly great performance. I think the Hsu VTF-3 might be a good place to start and there's still the new SVS subs coming out.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Brian,

"There aren't many box subs that I can think of in your price range that would offer truly great performance."

Yikes! I would have figured that for $1500 I could get a really good subwoofer for HT. Believe me, I don't need the ultimate performance of dual SVS subs or an 18" servo sub, but I want something at least as good as the M&K MX-125mkII we use to own. It certainly had better HT impact than the Titan IIs do, although nowhere near as good for music.

FYI, our room is 22'x14'x8.33', sort of medium sized (a bit over 2550 ft^3).

Michael

Ned

Supporting Actor
The HSU VTF-3 is definitely for you then and it goes for around $750 these days. A pair would be really nice for movies but that'd take as much room as an SVS so kinda dumb.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Get a VTF-3 and try it out. I'm sure you'll be pleased. If you don't listen at reference level and your room is of moderate size, one should be enough. If it's not, just add another, and you're at $1500.

Pity you can't go for a cylinder sub, because a single 25-31 PC-Plus would probably do the trick quite nicely.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Richard,

"Pity you can't go for a cylinder sub, because a single 25-31 PC-Plus would probably do the trick quite nicely."

If only I could convince my wife, which I wasn't able to do some 10 months ago. For the sake of discussion, isn't the 25-31 SVS subs recommended if your main use for it is HT? Also, I could possibly save even more by getting the CS-Plus since I own two spare Marantz MA-700 monoblocks, although I am not sure if 300W @ 4 ohms (one MA-700) is sufficient to drive the 25-31 CS-Plus.

Michael

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Michael,
The VTF-3 would be nice but you're limited in finishes. So as long as you don't mind black you'll be good to go. The beauty of something custom is that we should be able to outgun the VTF-3 for about the same money. And for $1500, look out! :)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
While trying to convince my wife that an SVS sub (25-31CS+) would be a good solution for us, I started to look over the output numbers in the above link. Two subs that I decided would be better than what we have are the Paradigm Servo-15 and the PW-2200.

In looking over the SPL numbers there and on the reviews at Paradigm's web site, it seems that the PW-2200 can go toe-to-toe with the Servo-15 at 25 Hz and above. Is this right? Has anyone compared the two in a primarily HT setup for LFE and "small" bass output?

Thanks,

Michael

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

I have the Servo, and I feel about it the same way I do about my Anthem. A neighbour has the PW 2200, and all I can say is that sub pounds!! I really prefer my Servo, but the PW 2200 really sounds pretty good on movies. I have heard comments that "musically" the Servo is not as good, but I don't agree. I think (maybe it's just the way my room is setup in comparison to my neighbours) that you can "feel" my bass more, but you can "hear" his bass more. (OK, that's probably just becuase of the way they're set up). They both work fantastic in their enviornments. I'd heartily recommend either one, the 2200 because of the price and the Servo because of the value of what you get for the price, and because I own it too ;-)

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
Well I demo'd the servo15- pw2200- and the ps1200, all three are great subs, the servo 15 is a great sub, clean and tight, the pw2200 is almost as clean as,and almost as tight, and pretty much plays toe to toe with the 15 until you hit 25hz and lower, what really impressed me was the ps1200 version3, this sub has really been improved on a lot, it is a lot stronger then the version 1 sub Tom tested in the spec sheet, but it is a bandpass box, the bass really pounds on music, it is a little bit dirty sounding but for techno-rap and rock, it is perfect, I ended up buying two pw2200's, they were about the same price as one servo15, you might also look at the new Earthquake millennium 15 this one sub will outgun almost any sub out there,period. it is a monster, that one sub will shoot down my two pw2200's, it is a bad boy, only problem is try to buy one, dealer networks are not out there, a friend of mine bought one from the internet,but I was scared about warranty so I bought the pw2200's from a local dealer, good luck

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Guys,

Thanks for the information about the Paradigm subs. I had a chance to hear the Servo-15 and PW-2200 at a dealer and both seemed outstanding compared to what I am used to (even better than the M&K MX125mkII, although this is based on distant memory).

I have only a 1/2 day of work tomorrow, so I might swing by the dealer again and see if I can get both subs into the same room for an extended audition in the afternoon. I would rather not do this unless I am serious about purchasing one of these subs (I can get either one for about 20% off retail).

With that in mind, I will pass the SVS sub idea by my wife one more time tonight. If she agrees, I will order the 25-31CS+ and see if we like it within the 45 day return period. If not, then I will audition the two Paradigm subs tomorrow (I might take one of my Titan IIs with me for comparison, which might not be a bad idea).

Michael

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Check around to see if you can find a closeout HGS15 for $1500 too. One of your local VEL dealers should even let you take it home for a weekend audition I would hope.

TV

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Tom,
Are you talking about the original HGS-15 or the HGS-15II? BTW, thanks for providing another alternative to your SVS subs, knowing fully well that my wife will be the deciding factor here. If I had my way, I would get an SVS Ultra (or two!) and be done with it. :)
If you recall, I went through this decision about 10 months ago. We have so enjoyed the Titan IIs in our system with the Anthem AVM-20 that music has never sounded better. We went on a massive CD buying spree like never before. It has been great!
But lately, especially with the AVM-20's DPL II upgrade, we have been focusing more on movies. We never really did press the Titan IIs the first 6 months or so we owned them. And it was my wife who noted that the bass performance and special effects during movies seemed to be lacking.
But enough of that. I am sure you hear more than your share of stories related to SAF. It is a fact of life when you have been married for over 18 years. You and Ron spent a lot of time with me in the past, and I would rather not mislead you this time around. You guys are a class act and deserve better treatment.
Michael

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
If you look into the VMPS Larger Sub it will fill your need for under $1500. You might even sell your Titans. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks