What's new

Looking for tower and center speaker recommendations (2 Viewers)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The center really should match the mains. It's not either/or. If a receiver can power a 4 ohm speaker then it can power any speaker rated 4 ohms or higher. Like I said, there is a choice on the receiver, 4 ohm or 8 ohm, because the 4 ohm setting cuts the power down considerably. Some say you should keep the setting at 8 ohms even if you run 4 ohm speakers. I won't say that, but some do :) .

CaptnHowdy

Agent
Real Name
Joe Blow
Well, I just can't afford to change all the speakers at one time, so I guess I'll have to live with the poor center quality for now, and be happy with my new subs. I wish there was a way for me to upgrade in stages without creating timbre matching problems. Thanks for all your help I've learned a lot here today.

overlord1330

Auditioning
Real Name
kevin
Look guys a receiver can't do 8 and 4 ohms at the same time and 4ohm load is almost 50% more power than 8 ohms if a receiver done 100 watts at8ohms it would do200 watts or better at 4 ohms but your thd would go up too

overlord1330

Auditioning
Real Name
kevin
gene c said:
The center really should match the mains. It's not either/or. If a receiver can power a 4 ohm speaker then it can power any speaker rated 4 ohms or higher. Like I said, there is a choice on the receiver, 4 ohm or 8 ohm, because the 4 ohm setting cuts the power down considerably. Some say you should keep the setting at 8 ohms even if you run 4 ohm speakers. I won't say that, but some do :) .
U are totally wrong u will cause people to blowup stuff and u could change drivers in your center channel just leave the tweeter alone

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
overlord1330 said:
Look guys a receiver can't do 8 and 4 ohms at the same time and 4ohm load is almost 50% more power than 8 ohms if a receiver done 100 watts at8ohms it would do200 watts or better at 4 ohms but your thd would go up too
I use a 4 ohm center channel and 8 ohm main speakers so my receiver is "doing" 4 ohms and 8 ohms at the same time. No issues. This is home theater and not car audio. Output power doesn't double when you half the impedance load. It goes up a little and sometimes not at all.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
overlord1330 said:
U are totally wrong u will cause people to blowup stuff and u could change drivers in your center channel just leave the tweeter alone
You don't just change drivers. That statement alone shows you know absolutely nothing about passive crossover design. Changing a mid-bass would require a complete redesign of the crossover to account for different Thiele/Small parameters as well as different sensitivity and frequency response.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If a receiver can safely power 4 ohm fronts then it can also power an 8 ohm center at the same time.. You would equilize the power output during calibration by raising the volume of the center or lowering the volume of the fronts. But a seperate two channel amp for the fronts would be better.

overlord1330

Auditioning
Real Name
kevin
U need to look up ohms law anytime u lower a amp ohm load wattage increases that is with all amps tube and solid state some receivers will go to 4 ohm but the power is not as clean because of the extra heat

overlord1330

Auditioning
Real Name
kevin
I replaced the mid drivers in my towers with TC sounds and matched drivers freq rang just a better effinc rating u don't have to change the over if the driver has close to the same range I have been building customer towers for 10 years I build my own crossovers too and I do a lot of proaudio too

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
overlord1330 said:
U need to look up ohms law anytime u lower a amp ohm load wattage increases that is with all amps tube and solid state some receivers will go to 4 ohm but the power is not as clean because of the extra heat
I'm very familiar with Ohm's Law. But wattage does not always increase with a lower impedance. Most home theater receivers that are rated at 4 ohms will have about a 20% increase in power when going from 8 to 4 ohms. In car audio, it doubles but sometimes it is only a 50% increase in wattage. There are some JL Audio amps that put out the rated power at 8 ohms, 4 ohms or 2 ohms.

overlord1330

Auditioning
Real Name
kevin
U are wrong if u change the ohm load wattage will go up always it will never stay the same look at pro amps like crown i run 3 of their xti 1000 look at what ohm loads their most home receivers don't have the transformer power to make the power double your info on ohm load is incomplete. If u want the cleanist power possible run 8ohms

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
overlord1330 said:
I replaced the mid drivers in my towers with TC sounds and matched drivers freq rang just a better effinc rating u don't have to change the over if the driver has close to the same range I have been building customer towers for 10 years I build my own crossovers too and I do a lot of proaudio too
You have to take into account frequency response, sensitivity over that response as well as impedance over the frequency spectrum. Not to mention baffle step diffraction. Which TC Sounds mids did you use? I haven't seen any of their mids except in the prototype stage when Kyle K posted pics on their forum. What software are you using to design your crossovers? LEAP? CalSOD? I've been building speakers on and off since the mid '80's. I've built textbook crossovers and compared them to crossovers designed for a specific set of drivers in a specific enclosure. Custom crossovers are hands down better than a textbook crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks