What's new

Looking For Thinner, Flexible Interconnects and Component Video Cables (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I work for an A/V installer, and many systems are fully loaded, and include 2nd zone wiring. Many customer's cabinets are barely deep enough to contain all the wires, and I figure if we used more flexible, thinner wire, we'd be much better off when doing service calls, or attempting to move a piece of equipment.

Frequently, moving one piece of hardware causes RCA's to pop out, and other nasty stuff to occur.

So, does anyone know of suppliers with a full line of reasonably priced(boss is cost conscious) wires that are made to be flexible and use reasonably good RCA connectors?
If you've ever seen Kimber PBJ, that is about what I'm looking for, but for less money.

Thank you all for your input.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Do you use pre-fabbed cabling, or custom-make your own? If you do custom, I recommend this from Canare:

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...&search=0&off=

This is top-flight professional grade cabling. You won’t find anything thinner or more flexible for audio applications. Not to mention, the shield is ultra-tight - simply superb. The two center conductors can be terminated as the signal (+) for added durability, or one of them can be tied to shield to maximize noise rejection properties.

For composite and component video cabling, you might try using Canare’s LV-61S. It specs as RG-59, which is about the same size as regular audio cabling. Unlike most RG-59, it has a stranded center conductor, which greatly enhances flexibility.

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...&search=0&off=

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Thanks Wayne, but this has to be pre-made. We go through dozens per week, and keep at least 150 on hand in varying lengths. I know I don't want cable making added to my responsibilities!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
James: the custom sites WILL sell you HD rated cables in lengths you can keep on hand.

How about a 20 foot, HD video rated component video cable for $60? That is what places like Blue Jeans Cables will sell you. This stuff will rival the Silver-Coated Monster cables that cost $200 for six-foot. The RCA plugs are the wonderful Canare RCA's that come as close as possible to the 75 ohm impedence that these cables require. (This is the stuff normally sold to broadcast industry - it's designed to carry signals that are then sent to millions of homes - it has to have minimal impact on the signals it carries).

One caution: are you running this stuff in-wall? If so - many fire codes require CL3 rated outer sheaths on all in-wall wires. This is thick/heavy but fire resistant. This may be what you must use.

James Edward

Supporting Actor

We keep 3, 6, 9, and 12 foot lengths in stock. If they are longer, we generally use RG-6 and F-RCA adapters(I know-this is less than ideal).

About BlueJeans cable- I use theirs in my system, but it is waaay too stiff for stuffing bunches of it into a cabinet. I'm thinking along the lines of what BetterCables sells(SilverSerpent, I think?), as it is much thinner and more flexible, but also expensive.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

But they offer about 5-6 different coax with different flex in each. You can get the LV-61S that Wayne suggested - thin and flexable.

Go to their web site and look beyond the first set of component video prices. There are several different options farther down the page.

Then email the site and explain the situation. The owner (a good guy) may even send you 2 or 3 samples of the different coax styles so you can check out the flex and get a better feel for how the final cable will handle.

I believe they also do speaker wires using "Star Quad" wires. This is a 4-conductor, 14 ga speaker wire twisted into 2 pairs. I did not think this was any better than good, thick 12 ga, but a lot of high-end AV installers use this similar stuff with great effect.

It cannot hurt to ask, and you could wind up being a hero to your boss.

KurtBJC

Agent
How would Belden 7787A be? It's a three-cable bundle of 1855A, which is a really nice mini-coax. We actually have that on hand, and have been about to introduce it on our site, but haven't had a chance to take photos of it yet. Outer jacket diameter is .432 inch, so it's not the big, thick, heavy bundle that the 7710A is.

...my apologies for the self-promoting vendor post...I'll stop now...

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't bother me Kurt. You're a sponsor without a b/s line. Them's points in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks