What's new

Looking for the Wii? (Update 2/11/07 - Circuit City/Target) (1 Viewer)

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I got mine by sheer luck. Way too old to camp out or care about the hype so I was more than willing to wait until Summer for one. But I purly lucked into one at our Super Wal-Mart. A guy had one in his hand as a Christmas gift and I asked if they had any more. There was one left and I took it. I wasn't even shoping for one, I was there to pickup a 360 game as a gift. They were EXTREMLY strict keeping it under lock and they made me checkout INSTANTLY if I wanted it. I couldn't even leave the electronics area. These were garded like a fortress and they stayed right next to me the whole time. Maybe others found the same thing, but it was the most guarded I've been even when making a large purchase from Best Buy.

The Super Wal-Mart staff said the orders came from highups and had no say in the matter. They were told NOT to advertise them and would not tell you on the phone due to the amout of calls they didn't want to deal with. You just happen across them. Maybe others found this to be true too because I know some have said that's how they found there's, pure happenstance.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine wanted me to find him a Wii, so I partook in the hunt for a Wii once again this morning.

Went to Best Buy around 8:45 a.m., didn't realize they opened at 11 a.m. on Sundays, saw that only 8 people were in line, so I drove over to grab some breakfast at Burger King, and came back at 9 a.m., and wound up 10th in line (was 11th, but a kid got back in his dad's car when the dad found out Circuit City opened at 10 a.m.). I would have gone to Circuit City, but I didn't know how much they got in, and I knew I had a sure thing at Best Buy since I was 10th. It was cold, and started to rain, luckily I have an umbrella in the car. At 10:30 a.m., they issued vouchers, and I was amazed at the stack of vouchers the guy still had after handing me my voucher, the 10th one. Best Buy ended up with 36 Wiis (20 minimum was what was in the ad). I drove over to Circuit City and found out they got in 25 Wii's, but at that time, they were all sold. I drove back to pick up the Wii at Best Buy, but since the pickup/pay line was long, I browsed through the aisle, milled about the place, and finally got in line. I ended up being the 35th person in line to pay for a Wii, and as luck would have it, the 36th Wii looked like it got dropped and smushed, so I narily avoided getting that one, and it was very unlucky for the last guy in line.

From what I've read, Wii availability at Target was more of a regional thing, some places had Wiis in their regional sales circular, while other places did not (like mine).

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Most national reports have been pretty much the same - stores get in an allotment of anywhere from 10-70 consoles (BB and Target receiving far more than other retailers); lines that meet or exceed that amount form long before the store opens (anywhere from 3am to opening); vouchers are handed out, and units are sold out at opening. I feel bad for people back east who had to stand in very cold weather for hours!

The Wii is starting to look like "the little console that could", even taking into consideration its low price and low quantities. The PS3, though it remains popular, stays on store shelves longer due to its $600 price tag. I've already had three very casual opportunities to buy a PS3 this year already, but I've never once seen a Wii (or even a Wii-mote or nunchuck) in stock.

I might consider picking a Wii up later in the year, when it's not such a hassle. Looks like Nintendo probably moved 150,000 units just this morning! Amazing.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
best buy on cape cod had 5 on the shelves today, i wasnt even looking for one, but i bought it anyway.

CJ

Quincy

Stunt Coordinator
Well, finally got me a Wii today after 4 months of looking. Went to 2 walmarts this morning, one had none and when I got to the other one they had only one in the case and someone there was buying it. Feeling depressed at this point I still went ahead and asked the clerk if they had anymore. She went to the back to check the secure lockup and cameback with two. She gave me one and a guy behind me took the other. She said they had 5 total and in the 5 minutes I was there they sold 4 of them.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I finally got my Wii, at a Gamestop.
I have a friend that works there, and he said they usually gets small shipments of Fridays.

So some of you that still need one, might want to check out Gamestops around Friday mornings.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It may have felt like 4 months, but the Wii has only been out for a little bit more than 2 months. :)

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Just got my Wii. Just calling around stores and BB happened to have one left so I booked there and got it.

Out of extra controllers though, bummer...

Now the next few days setting the thing up

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Picked one up this morning at a Los Angeles Target, thanks to iTrackr.

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised you were able to get one at Target. Most Targets around the country do have them in stock right now but they are all also under orders to not sell any until Sunday (Feb. 11). So, Sunday morning at Target is the place to be if you are still looking for a Wii.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This Sunday, Feb. 11, 2007, is another opportunity to pick up a Wii console at Target and Circuit City (it could be a regional thing, though). You might have to show up a few hours early to get a place in line (no telling how many units will show up at each location).

Mary M S

Screenwriter
The Wii's are still selling briskly.
We need another in the family and a console is not to be found.
Looks like all the B&M's here do not expect any further stock till April.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
It's been crazy. I got mine just before New Years. Since New Years, I have seen one unit at any store (and it was a lonely unit at the Best Buy entrance... well, not that lonely, it was gone by the time I left the store).

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks