Looking for the RIGHT receiver.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Coccimiglio, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Joe Coccimiglio

Hello, I am looking for the right receiver. Presently using (please try not to laugh) a Pioneer Pro Logic Dolby Surround system. I was young and didn't know what I know now. I have been doing some research and am not in a hurry but would like the right fit. Budget plays a big role so I am looking at a Sony STRDE575 and Technics SADX750. According to audioreview.com the Technics scores better. Just to make things worse there is the Kenwood VR-506 & 507. I am looking for some input on this.
    [​IMG]

2. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

Wait and save the extra $60-70 USD and get the Kenwood VR-509. It is the king for under $300.

3. Joe McRae

Joe McRae Auditioning

Hey Joe,

I was just in the same situation your in right now. I didn't want to spend alot of money to get a capable reciever. I was debating between the Kenwood 509 and the Denon 1602. I went with the Denon because of their great reputation. So far I love it. I don't have much to compare it too, but I am very satisfied. Even though the rating is at 70W per channel it will power everything better than the other amps you mentioned.

I think it is around the same price too....i payed 500 CDN for mine at A&B sound.

Best of luck in your search

4. Denis Q

Denis Q Auditioning

Circuit City has the VR-509 for $291 until 12/22.

DQ

5. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

Go with the Kenwood VR509, it has DD,DTS, DPL2(with adjustable music mode) and SRS Circle Surround. A steal for under $300.

6. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

I just got the Kenwood VR 507 a month back. I paid $235 for it at mjshow.com. ($15 shipping) I am not sure what the 509 has that the 507 doesn't except a little fancier remote. (I am not even using my remote) Vr507 has PLII, DTS and DD. Awesome bang for the buck. My only trouble up to this point is trying to decide if I should watch DVD's in Cinema EQ mode or not.

7. Joe Coccimiglio

Thanks Guys for all of you input. I will keep my eyes out for the models mentioned. I will have to plan a road trip to some of the outlets mentioned. I'm in northern Ontario and the big freeze has started. Thanks again for the help![​IMG]

8. Eddie Stewart

Eddie Stewart Auditioning

I have a technics 950 and it sounds great. It is worth the price by a long shot. Usually for around 200.