Looking for the right receiver. Have I found it? (Yamaha HTR-5440)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_House, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Chris_House

Chris_House Agent

I've been living with my Sony DPL receiver for quite a while now, but I feel it is time to get in step with the rest of the world and get a 5.1/DTS receiver. My birthday is next month, so I only have a little while to decide on the right model. I am leaning toward the Yamaha HTR-5440.

The first thing you need to know is that my system is in a bedroom (15 X 15 feet, give or take). Here are my current speakers:

Center - Polk CS245i

Mains - Marantz XXXX (they are old, so I don't know the model. Planning to upgrade to Polks in near future)

Rears - pair of Polk R10's

Sub - Sony SAWM40

Keep in mind that the only things I will be connecting to my new receiver will be the speakers and the DVD player, so I only need the basic inputs (no s-video etc). Also I only need enough power to suffice in a modestly-spaced bedroom. My main requirement is good sound. I don't want hissing, static etc. With all these things in mind, and a budget of less than $300, I am nearly sold on the Yamaha HTR-5440. I have heard very good things about it, and I can get it for about $250 at BB. Have I found the receiver I am looking for, or am I overlooking a model that will suit me even better? Thanks for your time.

2. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

The receiver would definitely fit your needs and is a great receiver... but also take a look at the new Yamaha's at BB.. the 55xx models that have just come out. All the 55xx models have DPII if this is important to you, and the 5540 model I believe is $299.

3. Chris_House

Chris_House Agent

Thanks for the info Hank. I looked around alittle bit on the net and didn't find any info on the 5540 (or any 55xx models for that matter). Could you (or someone) direct me to a site with some more info? Or you could tell me yourself how it differs from the 5440 (aside from the DPII thing). Thanks for any info.

4. Chris_House

Chris_House Agent

Anybody else have any input? Thanks.

5. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

Yes the 5540 seems to be a pretty good unit at that $300 price point. It is 80 x 5 but I dont see this as a real big deal since Yamaha amplifiers seem to do pretty well. It does not have a/b switching, and adds some new processing. I believe it only has 1 optical and 1 digital coax on it. Jason

6. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Don't buy before you audition the RX-V430 at HiFi Buys for $299! It has DD, DTS & DPL II. I just bought a V530($399) and the only feature it doesn't have is A/B switching which was not an issue for me. The V430 has the same power as the V530, so it should be plenty for your needs. I really like mine!

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    For your budget the Yamaha is your best bet. You might want to compair the RX_V430 and the HTR-5440. The 5440 has 65 w/ch and the 430 has 75 w/ch. The 5440 has 3 digital conections 2 optical and 1 coaxial. The 430 has 2 digital conections 1 optical and 1 coaxial. Both have a 6 channel input for a future surround format or DVD-A. The 540 has a/b swtching for two set of speakers and the 5440 does not. You can check out all the features at Yamaha's web site, www.yamaha.com

8. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Well, I own a HTR-5450 (aka RX-V520) which is a step up from the 5440. It has more digital inputs and power, and possibly some more little extras. Since they seem to be phasing them out you might want to try some aggressive price matching to get a good deal on the older models (5440 or 5450). Getting a good discount on the new models might be tough at this point. I'm sure I paid under CND$500 for mine, which is close to the USD$300 mark.
    The best place to get any info on Yamaha products is probably at www.yamaha.com.
    - Mike