What's new

Looking for the best/cheapest way to get VHS tapes converted to DVD... Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
after reading that DVD Ram can hold up to 12 hours, where as the other only 3 (?)
You're getting "up to 12" hours with a double-sided disc, which of course means you can get "up to 6" hours on a single side, the same 4.7 GB (billion bytes) as the other DVD formats.

And yes, you can get 6 hours on a single side -- if you go with half-D1 resolution or maybe even MPEG-1 (instead of regular MPEG-2), which is allowed in the DVD spec. But it won't be "DVD quality". Don't be misled by marketing.

As for which recordable format, -RAM, -R, -RW, or +RW (no +R yet), the only real question is which is compatible with the most players, especially yours. And there are certainly conflicting reports on that (other than -RAM being the worst). If one of the formats disappears, the discs don't suddenly stop working. Yes, you'll find it harder and harder to find blanks and eventually you'll have a piece of obsolete hardware, but if you need/want to do it now, you'll probably get at least a few good years out of either format if not more, and the drives aren't that expensive.

//Ken

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
What format of recordable DVD are the major studios using? When a unit is available which can record in that mode, then I'll buy in. I only want something which can record DVD video that will play back on any existing consumer DVD player, just as VHS will play back in any VHS player.

I don't want to record DVDs which are religated to playback solely on the unit they were recorded with, or esoteric units of the like.

I suspect that most people feel the same? and hopefully DVD recorders will emerge soon which can do what we all want them to.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Here's the lowdown...
There are 2 competing write-once formats: DVD-R & DVD+R. There are three competing rewritable formats: DVD-RAM, DVD-RW & DVD+RW.
DVD-R, DVD-RW & DVD-RAM are supported by the DVD Forum, while DVD+R & DVD+RW are not. The latter two are the brainchild of Philips (with support from HP & a few others).
Write-once DVD-R (supported by most manufacturers, except for a few led by Philips) will play on most DVD players. Recording quality on a single-sided 4.7GB disc at XP speed (1 hour) is 540 lines; SP speed (2 hours) is 480-500 lines; LP (4 hours) is 250 lines (with some pixellation); & EP (6 hours) is 250 lines (with reduced vertical resolution as well & quite noticeable pixellation). Double-sided discs are also available, offering 9.4GB of recording space.
Rewritable DVDs (DVD-RW, DVD-RAM & DVD+RW) also offer similar recording times as above. Pioneer is pushing DVD-RW, while Panasonic DVD-RAM. The latter (although less compatible with most DVD players, except RP91) is more versatile--it allows for simultaneous record/play & better editing features. The Philips is the easiest to use & currently the only one that creates a pictorial/thumbnail menu (the others only a text menu). However, the Philips' picture quality lags considerably behind the Panasonic & Pioneer decks (see currect issue of Sound & Vision or visit the DVD Hardware section @ avsforum.com).
I could be wrong, but I think DVD+R/RW will become the 'Betamax' of recordable DVDs. DVD-RAM is the most versatile, but the least compatible (but that should change as more DVD-RAM compatible players come out). Thankfully, Panasonic can record to both DVD-RAM & DVD-R. Pioneer's DVD-RW also has a good chance of success (their deck also records to DVD-R).
Only time will tell what format(s) will win out.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
obvious question no one has asked:

Do any of these "stand alone" DVD recorders have ditigal fire-wire input so you can take the digital image from D-VCR or camcorder and dub (perhaps with a format change, but all in the digital domain) to DVD?

Why should I be forced to go analog if I have a digital video tape?

-dave

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Do any of these "stand alone" DVD recorders have ditigal fire-wire input...
Unfortunately the Panasonic DMR-E20 does not (I expect the next model will). Panasonic just released the DMR-HS1 in Japan with Firewire, a hard-disk & progressive scan. Now that's the deck I really hope they release here in the U.S.
The current Pioneer DVR-7000 ($2,000) & PRV-9000 ($2,050) and the Philips DVDR1000 ($2,000 I think) & DVDR1500 (costlier than the DVDR1000) all have Firewire/DV in.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Rewritable DVDs (DVD-RW, DVD-RAM & DVD+RW) also offer similar recording times as above. Pioneer is pushing DVD-RW, while Panasonic DVD-RAM. The latter (although less compatible with most DVD players, except RP91) is more versatile--it allows for simultaneous record/play & better editing features. The Philips is the easiest to use & currently the only one that creates a pictorial/thumbnail menu (the others only a text menu). However, the Philips' picture quality lags considerably behind the Panasonic & Pioneer decks (see currect issue of Sound & Vision or visit the DVD Hardware section @ avsforum.com).
Are these statements in reference to standalone decks or the DVD writable drives for PCs? HP, Sony, and Philips now have DVD+RW drives for PCs, and I would bet my money on a single standard supported by those three than Panasonic or Pioneer out on their own.

I need to know because I plan on buying a DVD writer by the end of the week (PC based, not standalone) and I want to make sure that I buy the best item when it comes to compatibility and future life/support.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
One more question for those of you "in the know" here...
let's say there's something on DSS that's not out on DVD that I'd just have to have...like the Fraggle Rock Series :)
Now...how does one get the MPEG2 data stream from the DSS to the DVD recorder? I know that JVC had some sort of digital VCR that could interface with a DSS box. Is there anyway to make a digital copy of a DSS broadcast???
What about those time-shifting hard-disk recorders...do any of them have digital video output you could feed a DVD recorder?
-dave

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Is there anyway to make a digital copy of a DSS broadcast??? What about those time-shifting hard-disk recorders...do any of them have digital video output you could feed a DVD recorder?
The answer to your 1st question is yes only if your DSS unit has a Firewire out, which you can input into the Firewire of the Pioneer or Philips decks. Otherwise the next best option is the component input on the Philips or the s-video inputs on the other decks. As for your 2nd question, I may be wrong, but I don't think there are any Firewire capable PVR's currently available.

There may be PC-based digital-to-digital solutions, but I don't know.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Couple more points w/regard to John's comments ... DVD-R has the backing of the Link Removed; DVD+RW does not (not that it implies DVD+RW will fail). DVD-R is supported not only by Pioneer & Panasonic, but also Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba & others. I believe DVD-R has a bigger backing than DVD+RW.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Couple more points w/regard to John's comments ... DVD-R has the backing of the DVD Forum; DVD+RW does not (not that it implies DVD+RW will fail). DVD-R is supported not only by Pioneer & Panasonic, but also Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba & others. I believe DVD-R has a bigger backing than DVD+RW.
That's fine, but what about rewritable? Although I will be using the drive for VHS->DVD and DV->DVD conversion, I will also want to take advantage of the 4.7 GB of storage space and use it as a hard drive backup mechanism, hence the need for it to be rewritable. But I still need the maximum amount of DVD player compatibility. In your opinion, should I pursue DVD-RW or DVD+RW for this?

Frank_M

Stunt Coordinator
This might my favorite thread of all those I've ever initiated... as in two pages of replies, I think only one person spoke to my actual question!
:D

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
This might my favorite thread of all those I've ever initiated... as in two pages of replies, I think only one person spoke to my actual question!
Not necessarily. Converting VHS to DVD by way of desktop and PC-based writers certainly are directed towards your question. The problem is that right now using a PC-based DVD writer in combination with a video capture device might be the best AND cheapest way.

As long as you have a PC of at least 600 MHz with 256 MB RAM and a fast hard drive, you can capture directly to MPEG2. The software that comes with your DVD writer can then make the DVD for you.

If you are looking for a direct-to-DVD option, similar to VCR-to-VCR, you're going to end up paying a lot more at the current time; so, VHS-to-PC-to-DVD actually might be the optimal solution for you right now.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I was able to play with a Philips DVD recorder at CES a couple of weeks ago, and was impressed. The discs can play in almost any DVD player (some first gen players may have issues). SRP on the new models shipping in Feb is $999 and rumor has it APEX will have a unit for under $500 by Xmas 2002. Dubbing tapes to DVD will be easy with one of these babies...

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Looking for the best/cheapest way to get VHS tapes converted to DVD
my dad's business specializes in recording, authoring, and replicating all sorts of A/V stuff. they recently started doing this for people (home movies only...of course he's not doing copyrighted stuff!). for instance, on our last vacation he took the company's digital camcorder and made a whole DVD documentary (complete with music!) of the trip. pretty cool IMO.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
In your opinion, should I pursue DVD-RW or DVD+RW for this?
Based on your needs John, I think either a DVD-RW or DVD+RW drive (PC-based) would do the job. The only question is which to bank on after the format war gets heated. I believe a DVD-RW recorded in 'VR' mode will play on some DVD players, but I don't know if DVD+RW discs will play on more.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The latest issue of VIDEO STORE magazine has a CES story where I saw the APEX under $500 rumor in print. Other than that I have just heard it through the grape vine.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gentlemen,
I suppose this is a good time as any to
let you know...
Parker and I will both be obtaining the
soon-to-be-released Philips DVDR985.
This model surpasses last year's top-of-the-line
recorder from Philips and drops from $2k to just
under $1k.
We will be not only reviewing these models on
the forum, but providing a picture tutorial from
opening the box to recording the first DVD.
I know very little about the new DVD recordable
formats. I have read some interesting stuff in
this thread pertaining to DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and
DVD+RW. It seems that the latter is supported by
Philips.
So what about the DVD+R and DVD+RW formats? Will
these play in most all makes of DVD players? We
had hoped that the player we are about to do a
full-scale review on would support the most widely
used format as far as compatability.
Would appreciate you guys giving me a little
pre-education before we start reviewing these units
in about 3 weeks.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks