Looking for the best "bang for the buck" HD picture tube TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob Varto, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Title says it all. Im willing to spend $1800 max. for a HD picture tube TV - widescreen is a must. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. Chris_Cur

Chris_Cur Agent

You might want to look for a 40" Sony; it's a 4:3 TV, but its widescreen mode is the same size as a 34" 16:9 TV. You can find the old model ( KV40XBR700 ) cheap, and you might be able to find the new model ( KV40XBR800 ) for a good price. The 800 has a DVI input, while the 700 doesn't.

3. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I agree. The 800 might be your best bet. You could also look at the 34" HS510. Both sets would do you fine and would be available at $1800.

4. Bryan J

Bryan J Auditioning

The 34" and 40" are good TVs. However, I have owned the Sony KP46WT500 for almost a year and love it. It can be purchased for around 1400, is relatively light for a RP-CRT(~140 lbs), has DVI, and a fabulous picture after calibration. This year's model is the 510.

I suppose the size of your viewing room might also determine how large you are willing to go. This 46" is somewhat of a tweener, but there are also 51 and 57" sets. Happy shopping.

peace,
    bryan

5. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I bought a Sony Wega XBR800 36" HDTV and it has a great picture!!!!! the more I shop and look at other HDTV's I realize how good a picutre Sony makes. the new sonys are suppose to have more lines but from where I sit there is no way it would make such a difference.

I got my XBR for $1100.00 new in box. look around... old models new in box can be found cheap. I found one!