Looking for the best 16:9, 55

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny_L, Jun 23, 2001.

1. Danny_L

Danny_L Auditioning

Jun 22, 2001
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I'm repeating something that has already been posted.*
    I'm shopping for a 16:9 RPTV (55 to 65 in.) for less than $3,000 (I will consider spending more than $3000 if it's worth the price.)
    I'm not very knowledgeable on tweaking techniques so, I'm looking for something that's easy to adjust and maintain.* I currently have a ProScan 61" 4:3 RPTV which is not working(the power light on the front panel flickers on and off when trying to turn it on - Anyone looking for a fix-me-upper? -- anyway that's another story.)
    Here are some of the models I've been looking at:
    *** Toshiba 56H80 - $2200
    *** Toshiba 65H80 - $2500
    *** Sony KP57XBR10W - $3200*
    *** Mitsubishi WS-55807 - $2600
    Any Suggestions?
  2. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

May 12, 1999
    the 56H80 got a very nice write-up in the current The Perfect Vision mag (and these guys are picky), and they also mention that the 65" version uses the same chassis so expect similar results. having seen some early specs on the upcoming 65H81 and the Cinema Series version, the 65HX81, i expect the prices to drop again on the Toshiba's, but this is just a guess on my part. as you probably know, Costco online has the 65" for $2499 + $299 in house delivery. altho you can find it for a hundred or so cheaper elsewhere, Costco's liberal return policy makes this a great deal, imo. click http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product%2Easp&catid=79&subid=81&hierid=198&prdid=10011031&log=www.theperfectvision.com
  3. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Jun 8, 2000
    I recently purchased the Toshiba 65H80 and am just amazed at how terrific the picture is!
    Out of the box the picture was pretty good. After I broke it in for a few weeks and then started doing some tweaking on it, the picture is just amazing! It isn't that hard to learn how to tweak one of these things either. There are some great articles on some “other” sites that walk you through every step. If you are willing to put some time and effort into tweaking your set, you will be absolutely amazed at how good you can get the picture.
    I chose the Toshiba. I didn't choose a Mitsubishi because of the red-push and it was more money. Sure the red-push can be correct for component inputs, but it isn't correctable for s-video or composite. The Pioneer's look really good out of the box, but once a Toshiba or a Mitsubishi is tweaked; they look just as good for a heck of a lot less money.
    The Toshiba also has a better line-doubler than the Mitsubishi. Toshiba also has far superior stretch modes than the Mitsubishi or Pioneer.
    For you budget, you can easily get a 65" Toshiba 65H80. They are very easy to tweak (as they are heavily documented). Whichever set you get, I would highly recommend picking up Avia or Video Essentials DVD.