What's new

Looking for Surround Sound ideas for older TV? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jade
Upon doing some more research, Home Theater in a box is the term you were using, apparently in a derogatory way too lol. I guess it's the equivalent of a TV Dinner. What does already having a DVD player do for me right now though? Does my DVD player act as my Set Top Box the same way i presuming my Satellite would?

So because i have an older TV, Digital output is a necessity? What piece of equipment should i make sure has this exactly?

Sorry for the sheer amount of questions, but like i said, i'm starting from scratch here. You've already helped me tremendously though!

Real Name
Jade
This is the kind of T-Amp that comes up on Amazon right off the bat http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-TDA7492-Integrated-Tripath-Amplifier/dp/B00F0H8TOC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406658334&sr=8-2&keywords=t-amps

Here is the type of speaker sets that come up during a search of Sony SS speakers http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-CR3000-Channel-Speaker-Package/dp/B000OG88NQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1406658650&sr=8-4&keywords=sony+ss+speaker

and here is the power cord i believe you recommended http://www.ebay.com/itm/311024081510?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm still abit in the dark, can you tell me if these speakers and amp are in the realm of what i need and what exactly this power cord will be used for please :)?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If this TV is not HD(being a 12yo 60, it shoud be 16x9 HD)...You should get an AVR. The issue is, modern AVR have all moved on to HDMI and minimal digital coax/toslink connection. You need an AVR from 2009 and older (when legacy inputs were still common), but new enough...that when this TV dies...you can continue using it.I would look for used Onkyo 605 and Integra 5.8(along with 606, 5.9...but the year newer adds almost $100. When you look at them...you'll know why)

Real Name
Jade
Everything is becoming clearer, i appreciate your help.

Ok, so say i settled on the Onkyo 605, looks nice enough and has both DD and DTS. I believe it has legendary inputs correct? Obviously it has HDMI to, so when this TV goes, i can continue using this on a modern widescreen. I like that.

So if i bought this, all i need is speakers? Should i look for a set of 5.1 speakers or pick them out piece by piece?

Finally, what would the receiver be connected to exactly, my TV, STB, or DVD player?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The AVR is the center of everything. The sources connect to it...it sends video to the TV. Your choice...piece by piece often means you can buy better stuff...and pace yourself.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have to chime in about the TV. If it's the model I think it is, those early Panny's were tanks and worth the $10. At the time they were highly rated models and had an almost cult following. I still have a 47" Panny and it work's great! I don't play many Bluray's, but the 720p works just fine for DVDs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It would be nice if he gave us the model number. I don't remember the year Panny(they and Mits were the first to do so) dropped all 4/3 sets over 30" and went HD capable 16/9.Hitachi, Mits, Toshiba, Sony and Panny(at the time...the big 5) all had models in 2000 with DVI. In 2002, as salespeople, if they didn't steer into DVI...they weren't doing their job.By 2004, almost every HD capable set(and all HD ready had to have it) had DVI.When HDMI started its foothold, projection sets and projectors kept DVI for a few years.

Real Name
Jade
The model number is CT-35G25B

I'm gonna go ahead and buy the Onkyo 605 since it has the Legendary hook ups i need, and HDMI so i can continue using it after this thing kicks.

Do you have any tips or suggestions for the speakers or anything else i'll need? Do i need any extra wiring or cords?

Should i be trying to get a set of 5.1 speakers or buy the front, subwoofer, and rear speakers separately?

Real Name
Jade
I'm confused, i looked it up and you're right. I can take a picture, it definitely is much larger than that. I picked it up at a Salvation Army where a friend of mine works and the sticker on the back of the TV had that model number.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Jade Cardigan said:
Do you have any tips or suggestions for the speakers or anything else i'll need? Do i need any extra wiring or cords?

Should i be trying to get a set of 5.1 speakers or buy the front, subwoofer, and rear speakers separately?
If you did get the AVR then awesome, you've got the hard part done.

Now you need some speakers to go with it, which is pretty easy. You need to decide for yourself on how many speakers you want to get. That will be largely determined on your budget. How much do you want to spend on speakers? You will need at least 2 to start with, the main pair of right and left speakers. You can either get some decent speakers and build from there or you can get a set of speakers that are all matched and ready to go. Some sets will come with a sub others won't. Will you need a sub right away...good question, that depends on what speakers you buy and how much bass you like.

For example you can get these Sony SS-B1000 and they will be ok for front speakers but will need a sub for the low end. You could also get these Sony SS-B3000 which are a more expensive set but probably wouldn't need a sub right away. Another option is to get a packaged set like this one from Yamaha that is all inclusive but more toward the lower end of quality. There are so many speakers options out there and these are just an example. What you need to come up with is a budget of how much you can spend and they decide if you want better speakers or a basic set with plans to upgrade in the future.

Real Name
Jade
ArmSC said:
If you did get the AVR then awesome, you've got the hard part done.

Now you need some speakers to go with it, which is pretty easy. You need to decide for yourself on how many speakers you want to get. That will be largely determined on your budget. How much do you want to spend on speakers? You will need at least 2 to start with, the main pair of right and left speakers. You can either get some decent speakers and build from there or you can get a set of speakers that are all matched and ready to go. Some sets will come with a sub others won't. Will you need a sub right away...good question, that depends on what speakers you buy and how much bass you like.

For example you can get these Sony SS-B1000 and they will be ok for front speakers but will need a sub for the low end. You could also get these Sony SS-B3000 which are a more expensive set but probably wouldn't need a sub right away. Another option is to get a packaged set like this one from Yamaha that is all inclusive but more toward the lower end of quality. There are so many speakers options out there and these are just an example. What you need to come up with is a budget of how much you can spend and they decide if you want better speakers or a basic set with plans to upgrade in the future.
I did indeed get the AVR complete with the remote. I'd prefer to get these to save some time before i had to add a sub http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp/B000OG6I6A/ref=pd_tcs_compl_e_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=0B7KDWVFDX9TJ2TX862Q, fits my price range and seems like a decent set of speakers.

Now when i want to upgrade to a 5.1 set up, would this be suffice? http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SA-W3000-Subwoofer-Each-Black/dp/B000OL22T2/ref=pd_tcs_compl_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VXSVHZ5TMT9GJFJFHTN

What kind of speakers am i looking to fill in the missing pieces? Are the speakers specifically made as rear speakers?

Are there any cords or wiring i need when all of this stuff comes in?

Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A second set of those Sony...or their littler brother.All you need is wire. And the connecting cables. If your STB, DVD and TV all have S-video...I would use that.The STB should have toslink. The DVD player has toslink or coax(could have both).

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Jade Cardigan said:
I did indeed get the AVR complete with the remote. I'd prefer to get these to save some time before i had to add a sub http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp/B000OG6I6A/ref=pd_tcs_compl_e_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=0B7KDWVFDX9TJ2TX862Q, fits my price range and seems like a decent set of speakers.

Now when i want to upgrade to a 5.1 set up, would this be suffice? http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SA-W3000-Subwoofer-Each-Black/dp/B000OL22T2/ref=pd_tcs_compl_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VXSVHZ5TMT9GJFJFHTN

What kind of speakers am i looking to fill in the missing pieces? Are the speakers specifically made as rear speakers?
You could probably get by the SS-B3000's and be fine but for about $50 more you can get the towers. If you can afford them and have the space these would serve you better as you don't need stands or anything to put them on. They should also give you better bass response as the cabinet is larger.

There are several brands out there that you can choose from...I was just giving you these Sony's as an example because Sam mentioned them. If you wanted to fill out the 5.1 set they sell this 3 piece package that should work with either of the sony options above. You could, as Sam said, get another set of 3000's or the SS-B1000's for the rear. The center is tricky as sony really doesn't sell one beside the set listed and a new unit that seems to only be on their website right now. So if you didn't want to go with the new one or the set get another pair of the SS-B1000's and use one as the center and keep one as a spare.

If you want to stick with Sony and need a sub I would look here for a budget unit but I would pass on the SA-W3000 in favor of this BIC F12. It seems to get better review for less money.

They do make speakers specifically for rear purposes but that's because most people prefer smaller rear speakers. In the end they are just speakers. If you have the space any speaker can be a rear speaker. You could move the SS-B3000's to the rear and get the towers to replace them up front if you wanted to.

If you were to give us a budget we might be able to come up with some other suggestions for speakers if you wanted some more help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks