What's new

Looking for suggestions/recommendations for a pool theater (1 Viewer)

fireLT

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark B
Hi all, first real post here and I'm looking for suggestion and/or recommendations. I am looking to do a pool theater. I would like to do a 12' wide screen at one end of the pool. I would like to do a reverse image so I would be putting the projector behind the screen. This is to 1, keep projector out of the weather. 2, ease of set up. otherwise I would need to put projector on a mount above the pool water. 3, keep things from being a trip hazard with the grand kiddos and the parents/grandparents. I have pretty much 12' of space behind the screen to the house wall where the electrical source would be as well. In my mind it would work well with that layout as long as the equipment will work within those parameters. So this is where I NEED YOU!!! I need the suggestion and recommendations for this layout. I honestly know very little about the specs of projectors and screens and need it dummied down, lol.

Thanks in advance, Mark

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you plan to use projection in daylight, I think you're out of luck. Nighttime with subdued ambient light, sure. I think most projectors can reverse the image for rear projection. Do you have a budget in mind? What about audio?

fireLT

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark B
Thanks for your response John. Yes I am aware of the ambient light issue and this would be used starting late afternoon/early evening. No real budget set, I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I don't want something cheap either. Definitely willing to spend more to get something that will do the job from the get go rather than getting something and then deciding that I need to spend more to get to where I want to be, if that makes sense, lol. As far as audio goes, for now I just want to hear the movies and not looking for a surround sound quality. Looking for good sound but doesn't have to be super great. All in all I would rather spend my initial investment on the projector/screen set up.

Again, thanks in advance, Mark

fireLT

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark B
Asking for opinions on the Optoma-GT1080HDR.htm for my outdoor "pool" theater. Hopefully someone has some experiences with it or some possible alternatives to suggest.

Thanks, Mark

fireLT

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark B
So....I'm also looking for suggestions for an outdoor screen material for rear projection. Looking for it to be 12' wide in a 16:9 format. I am looking at making a frame out of 2" X 2" aluminum framing material like is used for screened in porches, etc. I would use a spline to hold it in place if it is doable as if it was a screen material.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hopefully someone will jump in. Projection simply isn't my area.

fireLT

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark B
LOL, thanks John!!! I was beginning to think I did something wrong, lol. At this point I am looking strongly at the Optoma GT1080HDR and maybe a blow up screen for now. I have an amp and some extra speakers laying around that would handle the audio, again for now. would just like to get something going before the summer is completely gone.

Thanks again, Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I dont know that anyone around here has any experience with doing a reverse image projection, much less outside. Projectors and screens are designed for front reflection use. I’ve never looked into — and don‘t recall ever reading any reviews, how-to’s, or any forum discussions on reverse projection through a semi-transparent / translucent screen. I’m not saying no one does it. But it’s certainly uncommon and not widely discussed on home theater forums. And not enough people do it to prompt reviewer articles on tech / gadget sites.

If you’re open to normal front projection, there are various projectors recommended. And there are outdoor screen options from bedsheet to inflatable screens.

fireLT

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark B
I dont know that anyone around here has any experience with doing a reverse image projection, much less outside. Projectors and screens are designed for front reflection use. I’ve never looked into — and don‘t recall ever reading any reviews, how-to’s, or any forum discussions on reverse projection through a semi-transparent / translucent screen. I’m not saying no one does it. But it’s certainly uncommon and not widely discussed on home theater forums. And not enough people do it to prompt reviewer articles on tech / gadget sites.

If you’re open to normal front projection, there are various projectors recommended. And there are outdoor screen options from bedsheet to inflatable screens.
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your input. As usual I tend to "over think" a project and make things harder for myself, LOL. I do know that there are some inflatables that do reverse imaging so I think that's where I'll start as far as screens go.

Thanks again, Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks