Looking for suggestions re: tabletop widescreen tv?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WoodyH, Aug 23, 2001.

1. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

Hey all...first-time post over here in the Hardware section.
    I just moved to the Seattle area, and to do so had to sell off my tv (an old 46" rear-projection). Now that I'm getting set up here, I'm considering getting a 'small' to midsize (20-something to 30-something) tabletop widescreen ratio tv to start over - at the moment, all I can watch my DVD collection on is a 17" computer monitor, which doesn't quite have the same impact. [​IMG] I had been considering a standard TV (and still may if the widescreen is out of my reach), but since I rarely watch TV and have a decent (300+) DVD collection, I'd rather go with a widescreen set if I can afford it. I'm thinking of tabletop (or whatever the correct term is) just because I'm currently in a studio apartment, and don't have the room to go for a floor-standing/rear-projection unit.
    I remember hearing good things about the Sony WEGA line of tv's, but the only one I've seen in person so far was a 32" standard ratio (and, admittedly, didn't look that good...but I'll put that more to the care it must receive being a Fred Meyers display unit than with the unit itself).
    So I guess I've got a couple questions...
    Do the WEGA's come in 1.78:1 ratio?
    If not, what might be some other good sets?
    What is the price range I'm getting myself into?
    Looking for this kind of set is brand-new to me, and as I'm new to the area, I'm not sure what stores there are around for me to window-shop at. I've heard of Magnolia Hi-Fi, but haven't quite tracked down where they're located and how to get myself there yet (as I'm limited to the bus system and my feet [​IMG] ).
    Any ideas/suggestions would be great.
    ------------------
    Woody Hanscom
    My site: DJ'ing info, blog, and more...
    [Edited last by WoodyH on August 23, 2001 at 10:49 AM]

2. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator