Looking for suggestions for a good Elvis compilation CD.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Aug 16, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I love music. I have around 1500 CDs in my collection, with a lot of rock. However, I have never really gotten into rock from the '50s and early '60s. Sadly, I don't even have one Elvis CD in my collection. It's high time that I put a stop to that. The 25th anniversary of Elvis's passing has given me cause to think that I should have a CD that is representative of his contributions to music. Can anyone provide a suggestion for a good compilation disc? I'm not looking for a box set or anything to involved at this point. Just a single CD will do. Also, I'm not looking for later Elvis contributions, like when he performed in Hawaii. Rather, I'm looking for a compilation that highlights the classics from the svelte, younger Elvis ("Hound Dog", "Jailhouse Rock", etc.). I suppose I can't expect too much in terms of sound quality, but if some compilations have been mastered better than other, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

This one seems to be a favorite:
    Golden Records
    I think they're going to come out with a new one because of the anniversary, so you may want to wait for that.
    NP: Randy Weston, Spirits of Our Ancestors

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, thanks for the link. Golden Records looks like a good compilation, plus there is history there. The writer on allmusic.com said that this compilation was "rock & roll's first greatest-hits album". The remastered CD has extra tracks that were not on the original LP, but there still is history in this title. It is pricey, however. Allmusic.com has a link to buy the disc from CDNOW, which has it for $17.98. That pricey for a disc with a running time of just 33:25. Perhaps Elvis CDs are pricey because it's Elvis.

Thanks also for the tip regarding a 25th anniversary release. I'm surprised it wouldn't be out today (or least this past Tuesday). In any event, I'll be on the lookout for it.

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I have an Australian 2 CD release called All The Best From Elvis. I spent a long time looking for a compilation that had as many of the hits as possible including
    Viva Las Vegas
    In The Ghetto
    Suspicious Minds
    My Way
    and of course the great singles from the '50s.

I've since picked up the 3 decade box sets. Unfortunately Viva Las Vegas isn't on those (I think it's on the 2nd 60s box set which includes the music from his films) so I still have All The Best From ...

EDIT: Sadly, it looks like that compilation is out of print. Sorry about that...

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

And the new Elvis compilation, entitled E1vis, comes out this fall, compiling all of his #1 singles. Think The Beatles 1.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, thanks for all the information. I will wait for E1vis to come out, as it could very well have what I am looking for.

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Keith,

If you want sound quality, look out for the 24K gold CD of "Elvis 24K Hits" on the now-defunct DCC label. I paid $30.00 for this CD and it's probably the best sounding Elvis CD ever produced. I also found the 2 CD "Elvis: The Top 10 Hits" is quite good in covering all the hits from the 50s thru the 70s. The upcoming "#1 Hits" album will included the recent UK #1 single "A Little Less Conversation".

8. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny and Greg, I had a vague recollection of a DCC Elvis CD when I started this thread, but I didn't mention it since I am not looking to spend that much at this point. I could probably find it on eBay or wherever, but I'm not going to go that far. If I were a bigger Elvis fan, perhaps I would. Thanks though.

10. David Albrecht

David Albrecht Stunt Coordinator

I can't really give a recomendation for ya Keith. Whats the point really? Why would you want to limit yourself to one cd of greatest hits, and miss out on all the excellent tunes from the 60s and 70s. I mean how many times can you really listen to tunes like hound dog and jailhouse rock?

Granted they are good songs, and I dig hearing them over the radio... but I never go out of my way to play em, and I'm a big fan.

Songs like... "For the Good Times", "Until its time for you to Go", "Bridge Over Troubled Waters", "Green Green Grass of Home", "I Just Can't Help Beliving", "Mary in the Morning", "Twenty Days and Twenty Nights", "I'll Hold You in my Heart", "Gentle on my Mind", "Long Black Limosine", "Funny how Time Slips Away", "Always on my Mind", "Seperate Ways", etc, etc, etc... is what Elvis was all about. Leave the Heartbreak Hotel's for the radio.

11. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Keith- If you're looking for a comprehensive set, you might want to check out The Complete 50s Masters box set. Of course, if you want all of Elvis Presley's music possible from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, getting all of the Masters Box Sets should keep the bases covered; From Nashville to Memphis: The complete 60s Masters, or my pesonal favorite, the Walk a Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70s Masters box set.

Or, if you'd like a sample of Elvis Presley's entire career from the 50s to the 70s, you could try the Elvis Presley Platinum: A Life In Music Box set. A more recent release includes the Elvis Presley: Artist of the Century box set. I highly recommend Platinum: a Life in Music, BTW. Excellent CD Box set.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David,

I appreciate the alternative opinion. Since I have no Elvis CDs at all, I want one that has those '50s classics. I figure that's a good way to start.

Brian,

At this point, I don't want to go all the way box sets. A single CD like the upcoming E1vis will probably be a good starting point for me.