What's new

Looking for Subs!!! (1 Viewer)

AnikaLC*S

Auditioning
My boyfriend is big into this home theater stuff, would like to have some ideas of somewhat reasonably priced subs, all other things I may need with it to work as well. I need a sub that will have good quality and worth every penny. Our anniversary is coming up and looking to get him one....he would be THRILLED!

PaulT

Supporting Actor
You have to give the Forum an idea of what you think 'reasonably priced' is.

Also, has he mentioned any brands he might prefer or has he got a 'wish list' somewhere?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
SVS is very popular here and on HT discussion forums across the net. best bang for the buck. Problem is, if your boyfriend is not well versed in this universe, he might not have any idea- and not realize what a wonderful gift you've given.

;)

http://www.svsubwoofers.com

AnikaLC*S

Auditioning
Well, let's see..... reasonably priced... well, what are the range of prices for these buggers...LoL - um.. anywhere probably up to 400-500 bucks probably?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pci_25-31.htm

This is in your price range. I have the same unit in my HT (actually I have the passive version with my own amp- but smae basic sub). Excellent unit- does plenty in my 12x12 room.

If you're looking for consultation- email the SVS boys, give them your room demensions and your budget and they'll tell you if their product can do you right at your pricepoint.

If not there are several standard popular BANG FOR THE BUCK brands- and some reading in the speaker area will probably give you all the info.

-Vince

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
From everything I have read the Adire Rava is pretty hard to beat in the $400 or so range.Got a tracking # on mine today......it should show up at the shop sometime Monday:D
The Rava wont have the massive output or go as low as the SVS subs,but from all the reviews I have read it appears to do pretty well for a sealed 12 in.I will post how mine works out Monday night.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Here are what I consider the top contenders in your price range.

1.) SVS 25-31Pci $549
Unparalled customer service, as mentioned above, give them an email with the room size and listening habits to see what they suggest. They will not try to sell you more than what you need. It's well worth breaking the budget a little for this one.

If you're lucky, one of these might pop up in their b-stock section at a lower price(they go quickly so act fast if you see one there). I bought a b-stock sub from them and the only reason I could see it was b-stock was because of a 1/8" knick on the side of the grill. If I didn't look, I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

2.) Hsu VTF-2 $449.10

3.) Adire Audio Rava

One other very good option is having a sub custom built for you, this way you can match furniture or flooring. If you have space considerations, you can try to fit it where you want.

There are two people that frequent that do this for a living. You can contact Kyle at Acoustic Visions or Brian at Link Removed tell them your budget and they should be able to build something that competes with the above mentioned subs. You can see pictures of their work at their sites.

AndyRD

Auditioning
I currently own a Paradigm PDR-12. It is a wonderful sub, lots of great crisp, hard hitting bass. Also has good response. I believe the list on these subs is $420.00 You can check them out on Paradigm's website: www.paradigm.com

andy

Karl_Sp

Grip
Don't forget about the Velodyne CHT series. I just picked up a CHT-10 and it worked AWESOME in my girlfriends small basement. This sub is really good for music and home theater. I think they can be had for 400 or maybe a bit under.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

The CHT-12 and CHT-15 are capable of good output but at $400 I'd rather have the Adire Rava or a used VTF-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks