Looking for sub!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tray, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Tray

Tray Stunt Coordinator

Ok. With lots of help from here it looks like I will be getting the following:

HK AVR520
    S26II's Front L/R
    SCII Center
    N24 Rear L/R

I was thinking of a Dahlquist sub but am not sure. What sub can you recommend for $2-300?

My room is 18x23 and I will us the HT for 65/35% video/music mix.

I'm not against used speakers I just need to get mor info to make an informed decision.

Thanks!

2. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

I have a quick off-topic question. How do you like your HK receiver paired with your S26II's for HT and music? I have the S26II's all around paired with my Denon 1802. It's basically the only HT I've ever had as I've just gotten into this HT biz over the last nine months. [​IMG]
    I'm perfectly happy with my purchase of the Denon, but I've read wonderful things about HK and wonder how it would sound with the same speakers.
    Well, to try and answer your original question, I'll just throw in that I have the JBL PB10 and it throws out some nice bass for a little 10 incher. It only has a range down to 27Hz (+/-3dB) but I feel it's nice for the money. You'd get more dB at a lower frequency if you jumped toward the PB12 (as low as 25Hz (+/-3dB)).
    .. just a thought...
    «edit»
    Well shoot. I guess I should read a little closer. It looks like you said you will be getting that equipment. [​IMG]

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The PB10 and PB12 are meant to be matched up w/ N Series speakers. This isn't a really big deal, but something to think about. The PB12 would probably be a pretty good choice for your price range ($240 + shipping from www.harmanaudio.com).
    That said, the best sub for under $300 is a DIY. A Swan 305 driver from Madisound or a Dayton 10" DVC from Parts express, a 250 watt plate amp from parts express, and $20 worth of 3/4" MDF would put you in a sub that would be on par with 99% of the comercial subs in the sub $1000 range. A diy will go lower, hit harder, and sound better than any comparably priced comercial sub. If you have some basic woodworking skills and tools, this is definatly they way to go. Hang aound at the DIY forum for awhile and you'll pick up alot.

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Adam, I would get the HK AVR-320
    The only benefits the AVR-520 offers is:
    • 75w instead of 55 (which translates to a 1.35 decibel difference in maximum output)
    • HDCD decoding
    • pre amp out/main amp in loops for 5 amplifier channels
    So unless these features are worth the $100-200 extra I'd rather put that budget towards the speakers. I'd also get S26 for front and surrounds for matching surround sound.
    If I had a choice I'd probably choose the $350 10" titanic kit from parts express and just assemble it. Best part is you can re-use parts like the amp and spikes ($140 value) towards your next DIY sub.
    Edit: So final estimate =
    AVR-320
    S26II mains/surround
    SCII center
    10" Titanic
    You'll be right in your budget.

5. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Chris,
    do you mean, "Tray, I would get the HK AVR-320"?
    I've already purchased the Denon. [​IMG]

6. Tray

Tray Stunt Coordinator

Hehehe, I think he did.
    I just bought a Dahlquist 15" sub form Ubid for $79.
    $63 for shipping.
    I figure at worst I could replace the amp and sub componet later for better equipment.
    [​IMG]

7. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator