looking for sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by George Bir, Sep 3, 2004.

1. George Bir

George Bir Stunt Coordinator

All the great comments on the svs make me want one to go with the paradigm minis,370,atoms for our new ht.
    Not happy with the paradigm sub auditions, no chest pounding.

The problem is we never by sight unseen (or heard in this matter).

If there is nowhere to demo the svs is there any other recommendations?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    “Chest pounding?” Are you trying to get that car audio thing happening in your HT?

3. George Bir

George Bir Stunt Coordinator

No not exactly, maybe I used the wrong words.

We heard an Infinity 300w, sorry not sure the model, it came in a set. The sound was, should I say pant flapping. But it also seemed to go through us, we could feel it in the torso area. However we did not like the sound of it, not low enough. Seemed to be to sharp or short, like it was missing the low range.

Am I looking for the wrong things in subs. Since we felt a sinsation from that, we have been looking for that, and the lows.

New to this market, please help.
    Thank you.

4. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Hi George,

There is a 45 day return policy on the SVS, and I have never heard of (although I am sure it has happened) someone returning one because they didn't like it.

I dont own one, but you can't go wrong, they go deep, they are flat (FR) and they are very durable. The other competing subs are www.hsuresearch.com and www.adireaudio.com . These companies have outstanding customer service and reputations for performance.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    George,

It’s a little hard to specifically address your concerns since you didn’t give us any information about your equipment, placement or listening room. However, here are some fundamentals that may help give you a better picture.

Basically, low frequency performance is a function of both the sub and the room. It’s fairly easy to get outstanding bass performance in a small room with a small sub – that being output (volume) and extension (now low it goes). By “small room” I mean something like a good-sized bedroom, on the order of perhaps 16’ x 14’ x 9’, and by “small sub” I mean a single 8-10” with 100-150 watts or so.

The further you move from there, the more difficult things become. Larger spaces like family rooms, basements etc. require larger (or multiple) drivers with greater excursion, more amplifier power and larger enclosures to maintain the level of performance you had in the small room.

Getting a sub with adequate output and extension for your room is only half the story. The other half is frequency response. Any sub will react with the boundaries of the room and usually the result will be peaks and valleys in response. Peaks are the most readily noticeable – it’s not uncommon for one or two large ones to dominate the sound of the sub to the point that that’s practically the only thing you hear.

Unlike extension and output, which are a function of the sub, response is mostly a function of the room and requires an external solution like equalization.

In summary, George, any or all of these factors could account for what you’re hearing from your sub. It could that it’s perfectly adequate for your room but simply needs some equalization. Or that you’re lacking extension because it’s too small.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

George,

How many posts have you seen saying how much people love their SVS subs? A lot, right?

Now, how many posts have you seen saying they don't like their SVS and are going to return it? I don't think I've ever seen any.

SVS does have a 45 day return policy. So you can try one for yourself. I have the PB2-ISD and trust me, SVS is deserving of the good reputation and compliments they receive.

7. paul clipsel

paul clipsel Stunt Coordinator

George I have had really great results with my Hsu Research VTF-3 Mk2. The VTF-3 not only has great reviews and has a 30 day return policy, but Hsu seems to offers great service on any issues. However like most well priced bits of boutique gear nowadays its only sold mail order direct (out of Anahiem) not thru dealers.

PC

8. JonathanL

JonathanL Extra

What about the VMPS New Larger sub? Very few on these boards seem to mention VMPS with regard to subs. Are VMPS subs somehow lacking in quality? They seem great to me.

-Jonathan.

9. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

George

Velodyne makes a great sub and you can here them before you buy at a dealer. Paradigm also makes subs that will pound your chest look at the reference and signature series.