Looking for Sub Guidance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianLund, Jul 28, 2002.

1. BrianLund

BrianLund Auditioning

Ok here's another of the "what do you guys think of..." questions. I've pretty much decided on Polk LSi's. In fact I really should stop reading about Rockets etc because it's just muddling an already muddle mind but I still have decisions to make. Here's where I am now. I'm debating getting LSi15's or LSi9's for the front. With the LSi15's I'm bumped up against the budget ceiling for now and would not be able to afford a sub until later. So the first question is what is the general opinion on getting full range LSi15's now, subs later and LSi9's now with a sub. I have to admit that floor standers look good to me.

Now the next question would be, and I'd appreciate hearing from people who have heard these and are knowledgable enough about them to give good info, Which would be the better way to go SVS 25-31CS+, 25-31PC Plus or 20-39PCi. The 25-31CS+ really pushes the top end of the budget but allows pretty inexpensive upgrade to two subs later on. It also seems that the 25-31PC Plus is a better deal that the 20-39PCi because it can be tuned to 20hz anyway and it's smaller (good for the wife) but having little experience with these I don't know whether the claims work in reality. My listening is about 50/50 HT and music. Music runs the gamut of tastes between myself and the rest of the family.

Purchase won't take place for another month or two because the room isn't ready yet but I know SVS has summer prices right now and I'm not sure how long that will last or how long the introductory price on the 25-31PC Plus will last.

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

The choice between the 9's and the 15's involves more than the bottom end. Do you prefer the look of the 9's on stands or the self supporting 15's? The would both benefit form a sub. Albeit more so the 9's.
    As to which SVS depends on the size of your room and bass preferences. An email to Tom Vodhanel is in order here, even though form the tone of you post it seems you are already leaning towards the CS+.
    You really will NOT be unhappy, I think, with any of the combinations you propose. It is just a matter of balancing degree of happiness with wallet resources.
    Good luck with your decision and happy listening! [​IMG]

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

This is not what you want to hear, but you should buy the rockets and a 25-31 pci. Seriously. I've never seen or heard Polk LSI's and I'm usre they are fine speakers and a fair value. But I've auditioned divas. Fit and finish- stunning. Sound quality- outstanding. Bang for buck, no comercial speaker can touch it.

4. J. Redcay

J. Redcay Agent

Brian:

I have the LSI 15's and they are a very good speaker, the bass response is very lively and deep. But they, like all speakers, aren't designed to give a realistic earthquake experience; you need a sub for legitimate home theater movies. For music they are great. If you like the floor standing look, as indicated, you won't be disappointed, the 15's fit and finish is very good and they are handsome indeed. Hope this helps.

5. John F. Palacio

"This is not what you want to hear, but you should buy the rockets and a 25-31 pci. Seriously. I've never seen or heard Polk LSI's"
    Am I the only one here that thinks this is blatantly biased to say the least? I mean recommending one of two speakers having heard only one?[​IMG]

6. BrianLund

BrianLund Auditioning

John,
    Thanks and which one I think looks better is one of the things I'm struggling with. In the long run I like the floorstanders and would eventually be adding a sub(s) anyway. The real question is do I want to be without the thunder until I can afford to add them to the 15's or go with the 9's and sub now and have the best of both worlds but with out the physical presence of the floorstanders. Decisions, Decisions.

Brian, I am in the opposite seat from you and can tell you after auditioning a whole bunch of things including Klipsch, Mirage, Paradigm and Energy that the LSi series is a magnificent speaker and exactly what I was looking for. My only real interest in the Rockets is because they use the same tweeter as the LSi's so they may be similar in sound and using their top line speakers all the way around would result in enough savings to add a SVS to the set. I will not, however, buy a set of speakers until I have had a chance to audition them and therefore unless there is someone in the Baltimore/Washington corrider who would like to let me listen to the Rockets I will not be buying them. And to be perfectly honest with you I'm not all that big a fan of the appearance of the wood grain used on the Rockets. After all when I'm listening to them I've got to look at something. If you are basing your opinion of the LSi's on previous exposure to Polk (I almost didn't listen to them for the same reason) then you really owe it to yourself to go listen to them.

j.,
    Thanks for the comments

Brian

7. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

8. John F. Palacio

BrianLund says:
    "The real question is do I want to be without the thunder until I can afford to add them to the 15's or go with the 9's and sub now and have the best of both worlds but with out the physical presence of the floorstanders."
    Glad I'm not in your shoes. That's a tough decision.
    Get a loan? [​IMG]