What's new

Looking for "standard" DVD player (1 Viewer)

Sebastien S

Second Unit
My mother's DVD player (a Panasonic) just died, the thing was about 5 years old but seemed to have problems since day one.

Anyway, she's looking for a new "basic/standard" DVD player. She doesn't have any "hi-end" equipement, the only thing she will be using this with is a basic 4 year old Panasonic 27" TV.

She's looking to spend around (and no more than) $100 CAN ($75 U.S.). However, she doesn't want to go with a cheap bargain brand player at $20 - $30 either. She's looking for a "decent" image & sound quality for the setup she has and for this thing not to die within year one...

She's somewhat concerned about going with Panasonic again (since this one always gave her problems) but I have a Panasonic DVD-RP 82 player that's over 3 years old and it still beats the pants off certain DVD players released today!

I'm helping her with this purchase and am wondering if I should go with any perticular "brand" name?

"Sony", "Panasonic" (again), "Toshiba", "JVC" ect...

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I've purchased several of Sony's sub $80 DVD players for various purposes, with excellent results.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Since this is for a smaller TV and its unlikely that your mother would really notice subtle changes between players I'd pay more attention to the remote and user interface. The sony's are typically pretty easy to use but take a look around and I'm sure you'll see something that's got a straight forward and logical design.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks