Looking for specialized .WAV application...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I'm not sure this is the right forum, but, is there an application out there that will apply an RIAA curve to a .wav file?

I'm doing a little experiment with burning some CD's. Actually, if there is an application out there that has a pretty extensive eq feature built in, that would suffice.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

anyone? anyone?

3. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

I have no idea what an RIAA curve is but have you tried GoldWave? It's pretty versatile.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Thanks for the info.. GoldWave looks fun.

An RIAA curve actually applies to LP records. Do to some constraints in vinyl recording, the audio information is placed onto vinyl with reduced bass and boosted treble. All amplifiers nowadays with an LP input have a circuit that corrects this for playback. They apply what is known as an RIAA curve. (you used to be able to turn it on and off in old systems, but, it's so commonly used that it is built in now)

CDs on the otherhand have no limitations and therefore no adjustment is neccessary in their playback.

Now, some debate when studios were putting out the first CDs, the master tapes were recorded with reduced bass and boosted treble for use on LPs. And when put to CD, no one corrected for this. This is why studios would occasionaly put out a "digitally remastered" copy. I don't know if thats true, but I do have quite a few old CD's that are lacking in bass and overflowing with treble. So, I wanted to apply an RIAA curve to see how they sound.