What's new

Looking for speaker suggestions (1 Viewer)

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
I originally wanted a complete speaker system but then I read that I will probably get better quality if I piece it together. Ideally what I want is a 5.1 surround system with 2 front floor standing speakers, a thin center channel and 2 small satelites for the rears. If I can't find this in a package could someone suggest some decent fronts. They will be run off an Onkyo reciver that puts out 75 wrms per channel. My budget is $200 for the fronts maybe a little more for a complete package. Also how can I tell if a speaker is good. I've read alot of reviews and they all sound good but how can I be sure it will fit my application?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You're asking a LOT for around $200-300, and a whole package for that price isn't going to get you much to begin with. You aren't going to find what you are looking for in a package anywhere really, IMO. What I would do is go audition some speakers at local shops and find some that you like - then at least you know what sounds good to you. You'll also get a feeling for what you're going to have to spend roughly, to get what you're after. Most systems today consist of either tower mains or bookhelf speakers all the way around, but in all but a few cases, a sub is a necessity also, so it should be factored into the decision (even if you don't buy it at the same time). Some less expensive places to look:

www.hometheaterdirect.com

www.fluance.com

http://www.bicamerica.com/

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses. John of the links you provided 2 were very helpfull; Hometheaterdirect and Fluance. Both had either piece by piece or packages. What do you think of Fluance? They had a package for 299. I am not an audiophile by any means. I just want a decent sounding system. Mostly it will be used for tv/dvd viewing.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you have a Fry's near you a patient and observant shopper could have picked up a pair of Polk R50's for $139, R15's for $49 and a CSi25 center for $49 in the last couple of weeks. Not the best speakers around but a pretty good setup for

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator

That's why I am on these forums. I know the deals are out there. I just need help finding them. Thanks but no fry's here. I have looked at Polks though and have seen some decent deals out there.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Fluance and HTD are both respected in their price ranges. Also not the best out there, but you're not going to get ripped off either. BIC has gotten a lot of good reviews recently, and you can find them on Ebay pretty cheap I believe.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Note: the Polk ranges, are, ranging from the most expensive to the most affordable are

Lsi
Rti
Monitor
'R'
'M'

There's also the RM series, for people who like small, cute speakers.

Nowadays, the CSi centre speakers are voice matched with the Rti series. You might think that the Csi25 speaker sells at a very substantial discount, and might not mesh well with the other speakers sold by Fry. Apparently, though, it is an overseas model and is voice matched to the 'R' series.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The CSi25 I saw at Fry's looked to be a member of the R series. Same type cabinet, drivers and tweeter, and nothing like the Csi3 or CSi5 from the RTi series. It's discount seems in line with the other R series at Fry's. Not sure why they call it a CSi at all. Should be the CR25 or something, unless as Jeremy said it's an import model. In any event, I would use it with the R speakers, but not as a center with any RTi series fronts/surrounds.

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
Ok so I've got a few I like but I can't decide!!!! I like the fluance package, Bic, and Ventriloquist VT-12. I can't decide if I want floor standing or satelites. I have a realtively small living room 12X15 with vaulted ceilings and ceramic tile floors. When I am on the phone people think I am in a tunnel or something. Right now I am using satelite speakers and sub from an old sony surround sound system. I'm sure that whatever I pic will be a big improvement. Keep the comments and suggestions coming. :D

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
I've seen full Klipsch 5 channel set online for $300. I'm not a huge fan of their sound, but alot of people are. They make the quintet series, which are the small satellites. I they have them at Best Buy, so you could give them a quick audition.

You can also look into a pair of Paradigm Cinemas ($160 per pair). I had a pair of Titans as my main front speakers for quite a while, and I THINK they were about $200 for the pair, but I won't swear to it. They sounded great, and I still use them (although they are now my surrounds)

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
Well I went out today and tried to test out speakers. I went to Sound Advice, Best Buy, Circiut City, and they all had very bad selections. There was either nothing in my price range or they sounded like crap. Mostly way out of my price range. Can anybody help me decide on floor standing or satellites. I like the satellites for their small size but I am worried about how well they will perform. Wow the R30's look great. They are only $110 shipped.
:D

Paul Mor

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think you beat the price/quality of the Polk R50, R30, and R15 at Fry's, even after paying shipping by ordering them from outpost.com. I haven't heard some of the other brands that have been recommended, but I can't imagine them being better than the Polks. For close to $200, you could have R30 up front, R15 surround, and Csi25 center. Not a bad little system...especially for the price.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a buddy who has the R30s and for the price, they'd be really tough to beat. If you're interested, better order them because those sales don't last long.

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator
First thing I would ask is, how tonal is your hearing???
Why do I say that? Most people, if they could not see the brand name of a speaker, couldnt tell the difference between a $50 speaker and a $500 one, there just not dedicated audiophiles.
I'm not either, but I can tell if its clean and bright sounding between brands and also budget minded when I built my home theater setup. KLH's had a good enough sound to please me and the budget range I could afford. Mostly set for mid to high pitch ranges, but a subwoofer took care of the lows to balance them out. I found a few people on Ebay selling discontinued KLH's brand new in boxes. $99 center speaker cost me $38 shipped, 2 12x7x7 bookselves are added front fronts and 2 twisties for the rear, all ranged from 80-20,000 hz@ 10-100 watts along with a Accurian powerd sub for the low end. Final cost for all was just under $200 dollars and sound better than complete mid ranged setups I found at stores running $500-$700 and also got a 5.1 receiver to go with it which ran $129.

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator

I completely understand what you are saying. I work around jet engines so I know my hearing is not the best. That is one reason why I am not willing to spend a grand or more on speakers (well that and I'm cheap!!!). I just want to find a decent set up. I think the R30's are a deffinate buy. I think I'll still look for a center channel.

Thanks guys. Great suggestions.....:D

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
If you can swing it, you can get the Energy C-C1 center for $175 and a pair of C1 speakers for $150. The C1s are not floor standing, but they sound great and you can use speaker stands.

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just bought the Polk R30 from Outpost.com. Hopefully they will be here in a week. I may buy the CSI25 center speaker from ebay. They had it for around $90 shipped. I am still open for a different center channel though. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks