What's new

Looking for speaker suggestions (1 Viewer)

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new so be gentle. :D Can anybody recomennd a speaker package for around/under $200 or is this not enough $$$ for something decent quality. I am not a willing to spend several grand on a HT but do want something that sounds good. :D

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
What kind of speaker package? A pair? Surround sound? Need a subwoofer? For music and movies, or one or the other? Already have a receiver? :D

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For $200 you will either have to go with used/open box or a sub/sat setup like one of these: a 5.1 JBL SCS145.5 @ $189 from jr.com or the simular 7.1 SCS200.7 from Onecall.com. Also from onecall, Athena Point 5 for $199 (I own a set of these) but the sub would have to be purchased separately. For a little more money, look into the JBL E20's-E10's and C25. About $280 0n-line, sub extra. Go to sites like pricegrabber.com and shopping.com for more choices. Buying at a store for that price will be much more difficult.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I'll second the Athena recommendation and add a recommendation for the Hsu Ventriloquist setup.

If you're just looking for a pair of speakers there will obviously be different recommendations.

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
Ok sorry guys I'm new at this. I guess I should have given you more info. I bought a 7.1 receiver to replace my old 5.1 that died. I am currently using the satelite speakers from the old 5.1 set up. It was a sony surround that came with 4 satelites, 1 center, and a sub. I really don't know what would be best to get, a complete package or piece by piece. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
What are the impedence ratings of the Sony speakers....some of those Sony all in one packages had 3ohm speakers and may not be doing your new receiver any good....

If you still have the manual For the Sony package it should give you the speaker impedence....if you don't have the manual and have the system model # you should be able to download the PDF manual @

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select...?DIRECTOR=DOCS

This info should tell you how many speakers you should buy.

Steve~

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I would buy new fronts (L, C, R) and sub, and use the old fronts as your surrounds. This will help your budget a little, and you can upgrade the surrounds later if you feel the need.

Brian Sheldon

Auditioning
for $200 you can get yourself one heck of a nice set of speakers right now from Velodyne. They are selling their CHT Front row system for $199 delivered (plus a free t-shirt) I have only seen one review of these, but the professional reviewer loved them hooked up to his av receiver or his 300+ Watt seperates. You can do a search for the Veldoyne Deco system they use the identical drivers, the front-rows are in larger enclosures so they should sound a bit better. To get a sub--the best bang for your buck is probably the Datyon 12" sub from Parts express for about $150. (or you can get the 10" version for just over $100) That little $350 dollar system will lay waste to just about every HTIB under $500. That would be the closest you can get to a quality system for as close to $200 that I can think of. There are several in the $500 range that are decent and probably will be better than this, but at least $100 more. Sticking as close to your budget as possible--I think that is the way to go.

Paul Mor

Stunt Coordinator
Check out outpost.com or visit at Fry's if there is one near you. You can get the Polk R15 for $50/pair. Get a couple pair for fronts, center and rear center (6.1), then get the Dayton sub (I've never heard it, but it gets recommended a lot). Tough to beat for $200.

Another option from Fry's would be a pair of R50's($150) for front and R15 for center and rear center. I own both the R15 and R50 and they are great for the money.

Both of these suggestions have you keeping your current surround speakers.

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess I got some comparing to do. I do like the Velodyne set becasue it's all there I just need a sub....

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
ya didn't specify what kind of application it'll be. is it kitchen/living room/apt where space is a consideration? if it is, then go for it. but if your primary HT, why not save $ and get higher quality? $300 will buy you a pair of B&W DM303. that can get yous started. look to spend a total of $1,000 on just the 7.1 speakers *only*. decent subwoofers start at $400-500. so about $1,500 will get you started. FYI =).

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
I agree on the piece-by-piece approach. Surround sound quality is usually quite inferior, not to mention restricted in frequency range if you set the speakers to "small" and run LFE into your sub.

Start with a good quality set for front left, center, and right. Buy a decent sub for now, then you can upgrade it later (lots of very good subs on the market in the $400-600 range). Finally, down the line, purchase rear surrounds that match your new fronts and by definition are higher-quality.

You'll probably get hooked over time as you research and learn, and end up spending more than you ever thought you dreamed (happened to me!). But that's the joy and lure of this hobby.

Happy hunting!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks