What's new

Looking for speaker/sub recs for my new HT room. (1 Viewer)

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, wrapping up my new theater room in my basement and just recently picked up the HK 435 on sale at Amazon.

Im looking for some recommendations on a 5 speaker setup that will mate well with it. This will be solely for home theater.

Room size is 13x27 with 7 ft ceilings. Room is carpeted, walls are wood panel, but i will have acoustic tiles and posters spaced out to break it up a bit. There will be approx 10 seats also in the room (2 rows).

I have owned a JBL setup and currently have a Pinnacle (BD series) setup in my upstairs living room, both of which ive used my Outlaw 1050 receiver. Ive been very pleased with both setups.

Id like to keep the 5 speakers below $1k, if i can, and i am a bit partial to towers for the front speakers. Ive looked at the new JBLs (at best buy), some Klipsch, the Premier Acoustic deal, and a couple others. Im just looking for someone who is familiar with the HK and can recommend a nice sounding speaker to go along with it.

Also, i currently have a SVS PB10 in my upstairs setup, and i think it rocks. Im looking for a sub for the theater room that is damn near frightening. Would i be best served to go with another SV? Possibly a DIY, maybe a Sonotube? I just want the best bang-for-buck bass

Thanks very much in advance.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
If your looking for an evil sub, a budget for the sub would be helpful. But for $998 delivered, the SVS PB12-NSD/2 is down right bonecrushing.

I have it in a very large room. As in close to 2,000 square feet. And it is beyond enough sub.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The best bang for the buck to get "damn near frightening" bass would be DIY. The current drivers for this are the TC Sounds TC-2000 15" or the Soundsplinter RL-p 15" (built by TC Sounds). Either of those in a large, ported enclosure powered by a pro amp will get really scary.

-Robert

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies!

but, scratch the sub, ive found one :D Going to sonotube route ....

ANy speaker recs? Definitely leaning towards the premier acoustics at this point.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
Go with what you like, afterall it's you that has to listen to the setup. If youre on a budget look into POLK Audio LSi/Rti Lineup, I have heard and read great reviews on Def Tech, Paradigm as well. I would say audition a few brands out there, and then make your decision.

You may want to look into seperates as well(adding a power amp or multichannel amp to make your setup come to life and take somewhat of the load off your AVR)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Interesting sub but I question the 27" PR. The PR must have 2 to 2.5 times the Vd of the combined subs. If the PR had an actual Sd of 3166 cm^2 (I guessed at a 25" diameter of the cone) and each 12" sub had an SD of 480 cm^2 (average Sd for a 12" sub), then the PR would have to have double the xmax of the subs. I don't see how the PR's suspension could handle the amount of weight it would require to tune it low. I have some 12" PRs that can handle 1.5kg of weight. I've see some 18" PRs that could handle close to 3kg. That PR has almost 3 times the Sd of an 18" PR and would need 3 times the weight. It would take 9kg (over 18 pounds) to tune that enclosure into the 20hz range.

Disclaimer - This is all just pure speculation on my part. Other than that, it's a neat looking sub.

-Robert

John L.

Grip
Real Name
John L.
The Premier Acoustic Towers in a cherry finnish are beautiful to look at!
I've continued to write "rave reviews" because I have not experienced $300
tower speakers that sound this good -- until now. The Premier Acoustic Towers outperform my Polk (Made in Mexico) RTi70 cherry towers and Wharfedale Emerald 99 oak towers (made in China) by a comfortable margin. Everyone here thinks I'm either a "plant" or have an affiliation of some kind with Premier Acoustic Speakers. Not true!!

Buy the cherry edition on e-bay and you will be more than satisfied.
I'm using a HK 3470 two channel 100 watt receiver with Audioquest Python Jumpers and the sound is simply "blissful".

I don't know about the 5.1 system but the towers are very classy.

Sincerely,

John L.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NGreen08
Recent bookmarks