Looking for speaker stands

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

As the title says, I'm looking for stands for my mains and surrounds. The mains are large bookshelves (not too heavy) and the surrounds are tiny but will eventually be upgraded. I'm poor, also, so I can't afford much.
    Any advice?
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I was never able to find any stands for my surrounds that would raise them high enough. I ended up making two DYI flexy stands. I used 6 foot threaded rod and made shelves about 14 X 16". I made four shelves for each stand. I put the speakers on the top shelf and used the three other shelves for DVD storage. Total cost for two shelves/stands was $100.

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I never could find stands high enough either, right now I'm just using a pair of old speakers that don't even work to elevate my rears. I am going to do a DIY speaker stand project someday though.
    -Keith-
    [Edited last by Keith_R on July 29, 2001 at 05:31 PM]

4. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

You've got to be kidding me. SOMEONE has to make tall stands for surround speakers.
    ------------------

5. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Andrew, I've looked at BB and CC and the best they have is 24'. Radioshack has some stands that go up to 48' but they are kind of flimsy, so it is either 16' or 24' depending on where you go.

6. James Eftekari

James Eftekari Auditioning

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you have a saw and some nails you can make your own speaker stands with 4x4s and little platforms. Paint them or stan them and you're good to go. Heck, the people at Home Depot will probably cut the wood for you. Not "acoustically correct" but good enough.
    I hate my rear stands and they're the tallest I could find locally. Eventually I'm going to mount shelves on the walls. I'd recommend wall mounting your speakers if you can.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

8. james e m

james e m Second Unit

J and R seems to have a number of different speaker stands.
    I plan on buying 4 of these babies: http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...=Current_Price
    I will use them for my surrounds, 42" is about the height I have my surround speakers now.
    james
    i hope that link works!
    ------------------
    When in doubt...Rock it out.

9. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

I have those stands that james linked too. They're pretty nice (understanding that these are the first speaker stands I've ever owned so I don't have much point of comparison). I'm using them for my fronts and they work well, kinda retro-stylish too [​IMG] . My rears are going to be mounted on my wall though.

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The Sanus EFSat stands are adjustable from 28"-42". They're well-made and come with a variety of mounting options. I use a pair for the side speakers in my Logic 7 setup, and I've been quite pleased. More importantly, my wife likes them (!).
    Here's a link to the Sanus home page (you have to click on "Audio", then "Foundations", then "Euro-Foundations", then "More Info"). You can order from them directly ($99 a pair) or try to find a local dealer.
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on July 30, 2001 at 08:48 AM]

11. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

In our Albany apartment, we were able to put them on shelves behind the couch. At first, I didn't think we could do that here in Richmond, but the more I think of it the more I think we can configure them the same way. So the surrounds are no longer a problem; it's just the mains. Right now they are on boxes and crates.
    ------------------

12. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Besides 4x4s or 6x6s another option would be plasic PVC pipe, the thicker stuff (e.g. 3 inches). It is reasonable, cuts easily - in many Home Depots they have things in the store for you to cut it with. Cutting it to custom height, filling it with play sand at $3 bag and gluing it with end caps that can be bolted on 3/4 inch plywood for the top and bottom plates (or cut pieces of finished shelving to your liking). It can be painted or covered to your liking and you can finish it off with spikes or Vibrapods (www.vibrapod.com) at $24 set of 4. You might even want to use thinner stuff for the surrounds (e.g. 1.5 inch) since filling something tall with sand will make it heavy.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Patrick,
    Excellent work on all the DIY stuff! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

15. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Andrew,
    I got a pair of 36" surround stands from Sears for like $70. They're black, seem to be really sturdy and are pretty good looking. I just wish the top plate was a little bit bigger (it's about 6" in diameter).