Looking for speaker cover material

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Veroukis, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Hello!

This is for a my car, not my home, but I was wondring if any of you DIYers have any recomendations for speaker covers? What properties are important when looking for a speaker cover?

To use these in my car I simply have to wrap the material around a holding frame and then snap it into the internal panels. The material must be easy to bend so metalic mesh or anything like that would not do.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

- Mike

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'd choose a cover to match the interior of the car if it's visible. Like carpet, synthetic leather or vinyl available at fabric stores.

Could you better explain how it will be used? I don't know if you are covering the driver, or just covering the enclosure/frame of the driver. What's the purpose? for appearance, or for protection against theft? etc.

3. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Chris,

The stock speaker cover has faded due to sun light. The car is an old '86 Supra with maroon interior. It will be hiding a simple 5.25" speaker, nothing major. My main concern is to simply make it look newish once again as I'm restoring the car.

I know matching the colour would probably be ideal, however a black cover would work fine I think. I went to a fabric store but they told me they didn't have anything specifically for speakers. They had a bunch of materials that we very thin and light and would look okay on the speaker cover, I'm just not sure what types of materials are good for speaker covers. Does it really matter as long as thjey are ultra light and semi transperant?

- Mike