Looking for speaker companies with best bang for buck values

Martice

Screenwriter
Funny that half of the companies mentioned probably won't exist in 5 years....hmmm....most of these mentioned are fads anyway, or the "speaker of the month"
What is a speaker of the month and which speaker was the last one? When is a speaker not a fad and what speaker would you call a fad?

Regardless if a speaker has been around for 3 weeks or 3 decades, if the speaker performs beyond the competition in it's price bracket at a lower price, then it's worth mentioning and considered a "bang for the buck" speaker.

If this were receivers I could see your point but your reply shouldn't pertain to speakers.

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
"OK how about a complete 5 speakers system for $2500 or less that sounds good? Hehehhehe. ""

Five ACI Emeralds will set you back about $1800 or a little more depending on wood finished. Only thing is, they don't sound good, they sound great. Very musical, very real. Attractive, well built little buggers as well. And they sure aren't a "speaker of the month" coming from a very well established company that has been a leader in direct sales for 25 years.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Maybe "speaker of the month" means someone just heard of them this month, so they think the company just came into existence?
For instance, Danny Richie (GR Research) has been designing/building speakers for many years now, AFAIK. And Michaura (another speaker whose name has been making the rounds recently) is almost certainly built by Axiom, who have been in the OEM speaker business for many years.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I guess I should clarify. When you can buy a complete set of speakers (front, center, and surrounds) for $2500 or less and have people rave about them and say that they sound like speakers 2-3 times that much, then I consider them a real bang for the buck speaker.
Allen,

The Polk LSi series is definitely in this category.
LSi-15 towers, LSi-C center, and your choice of LSi9 directs or LSi-FX switchable bipolar/dipolars should come in around $2K. Heck I don't really think you will lose very much replacing the towers with the 9's, especially if you have a sub - this system with an SVS or Hsu sub should be very good for about $2K. The vocals are just incredible out of my LSi-9's at this pricepoint.

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
If you want a perfect example of "speaker of the month" go over to HarmonicDiscord and look at all the stuff on AvReality and their head honcho. I can't help but feel sorry for all those who bought into that hype.
BTW, if you want ACI's kit products, they are getting out of the kit business at the end of June, till then, they're found at www.subwoofers.com

Barrett

Auditioning
Have you considered Monitor Audio? I own a set of their Silver i series and love them. Their entire lineup has been pretty heavily reviewed in print and online over the last 2-3 years, and I haven't seen a bad review yet. In particular, you could buy a pair of Silver 5i (floorstanding) mains, a Silver Centre 10i, and a pair of Silver 3i (bookshelf) surrounds for $2200 list. In fact, since MA is apparently updating the line to new Silver S versions, you might even be able to get deep discounts on remaining stock of the Silver i line. They're well-built, they sound great--nice imaging, extended but not bright treble, often commented to have a very "full" sound, pretty good bass extension for the size--and the beautiful real wood finishes (cherry, rose mahogany, or black oak) can't be matched by anything else in their price range. From personal experience, highly recommeded!

Rand

Supporting Actor
I'd agree with most companies mentioned.

In my personal experiance I really like NHT's and AR's for value.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Well, for subs, I would certainly add SVS, HSU, Paradigm, Velodyne, Aperion Audio, and Adire Audio to that list.

One thing we all know about the net. If a company makes a bad product word will get around quickly and that company will be forced out of business.

Most businesses fail within the first year. After that three and five years become commom. This is true in any industry. As long as companies produce excellent products at great prices and have wonderful customer service they will be around for many years to come. And they do not even have to be the lowest priced in order to succeed.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
ALthough VMPS has been mentioned a couple times already, I might clarify that they also sell their speakers in KIT form.
So how about the QSO 626 Ribbon: $799ea assembled, $649ea kit w/assembled cabinet, plus shipping
http://www.vmpsaudio.com/rmonpic.htm
These speakers compare favorably to $5000 audiophile monitors and cost $1350 a pr in kit form. That is as close as you can get to the value you are looking for.
http://www.vmpsaudio.com/qsodoc1.htm
Regards
John Casler

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Let's hear it for the French... with Triangle Titus 202 @$495/pair...add another pair for surrounds and their center channel and you get out for under $1500. Sounds like the sub is covered, but adding an SVS would still keep it under $2500.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I would love to hear the Triangles. Are those the ones Sam Telig from Stereophile loves so much? They are supposed to sound sweet. Better yet, I would love to A/B them with a pair of Diva 2.1's and see how they hold up. There is a poster on AVS named Zooplancton who is in the Bay area and has the 2.1's.....

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I've read enough to put in my 2 cents. I feel it really depends on the type of tone a particular speaker gives. Some people love Klipsch and some people hate them.

I have not heard most of the speakers spoken about in this thread as I live in a small town.

I am a Klipsch fan as I like their sound. I do not find them to be bright. I am pushing them with an Onkyo 797 and for music I use a Yammy EQ. I just like EQ'd music. I demo'd the B & W CDM series and ended up deciding on the Klipsch line as I felt the B & W CDM series that I could afford were not as full and I felt the tweeter would be fatiguing over time. With the Klipsch line you get horn loaded speakers that, too me, are less fatiguing. The CDM line is still a GREAT line up but did not do it for me. Honesty when I can afford them I will give serious thought to the Nautilus 803's with appropiate matching timbre speakers.

Back to the question. For $2,500 the RF-3 series would cut it. With four towers and the center running about $1,600 with a little negociating. The RF-5 series you will still be under $2,500 with a little negociating.

Phil

Kexi Cao

Auditioning
I would love to hear the Triangles. Are those the ones Sam Telig from Stereophile loves so much? They are supposed to sound sweet.
Russ,
No. The ones Sam Telig talked about were Triangle Celius. I was lucky enough to find a dealer carries them near me. I bought them about 3 months ago for $1800. It took about a whole month to have them broke in. They are very very good! My ears are so spoiled by 30 years of listening live classical music and 20 years of listening CDs through Stax earspeekers, I'd had a such hard time to find speakers that I can afford. I had two audiophile friends came from Boston last week to come to New York City Hilton Hotel for some kind of audio electronics show. After whole day of listening to many $20k and up speakers, they stopped by my house and listened the Celius. Their comments were "the Celius is better than many of those $20k ones; for the price, you can't get any better than that!" Of course, they didn't do any a/b blind test which I believe is the ultimate test although it's extremely difficult to do it correctly.
I just bought a vtf-3, based on Barry's review which I think is very credible with 3 different people using a/b blind test method, three weeks ago to complete the frequency spectrum.
The Celius is Stereophile Class A. I am pretty sure the vtf-3 will be Class A as well because vtf-2 already is. The Celius is rated down to the 35 Hz but it actually starts to drop at 60. I set my vtf-3 crossover at 60 Hz and the volume only to between 9 and 10 clock. That extra punch which the Stax couldn't give to me is just simply satisfying.
Now I just need a center and a good pair of rear to complete my ht setting... Class A is not necessary
KC

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huzaifa