Looking for someone to built me a subwoofer enclosre=)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_Gomez, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Title says it.
    1st, The builder MUST BE SEMI LOCAL. somewhere near Irvine, or Anaheim, CA. This enclosure will be way to heavy to ship and I would prefer either meeting half way, or picking it up somewhere.
    Furnature quality please=)
    Design is very simple:
    *18" cube
    *1.5" thick MDF walls all around
    *3/4" maple corners (round over)
    *~14" driver cutout-no flushmounting required (will know exact ID later)
    *plain hard maple or maple curl (a nice curl is prefered) veneer on all faces
    *A few coats of semigloss wipe-on poly (no stain)
    *the following hardware from PE: 260-317 x2, 091-1245, 240-715
    Please email me with a quote. or if you are interested in a trade let me know.
    thanks
    [email protected]
    subject=enclosure quote
    (I used to have time to build my own stuff[​IMG] ..and I used to have space for my larger sub[​IMG] )

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Anthony,
    What's half way between GA and Cali? [​IMG]
    Brian

3. *L*....well....san-diego is about halfway right?
    [​IMG]
    I would consider someone not local if the total cost with shipping was reasonable and the individual had experience with shipping such heavy items[​IMG]

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    What happened to your dual 1503's?

5. Dual 1503's looks to be replaced or something or the sorts.
    While this new sub will have a slightly smaller footprint, the much shorter hight will allow me to tuck it away a lot easier. My hometheater is also my beadroom. ...and with the additional computer systems I need to put in there (yes, bedroom, hometheater..AND office), i need to do some "rearranging"=(
    --Man, I can't wait to finish grad school, move out and get my own place (on campus apartments are convenient, but not quite that big[​IMG] ). Then I can have a dedicated HT or Music room[​IMG]

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Anthony,
    I'll email you later this evening. My dad has a guy that can crate and ship anything if necessary. I don't think we'd need to go to those extremes though. LOTS of bubble wrap and double boxing usually works well. [​IMG]
    Brian

7. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I live on the border of Irvine and Laguna Hills and can get you a quote from both a professional contractor, and a custom home theater designer.
    I'll tell you up front that I can sell you a tempest enclosure that we just built for $180. You can then veneer it or paint it however since it's 3/4" mdf, braced, and in the shape of an altered adire alignment. (pyramid type shape)
    I own one of these right now in maple and it sounds amazing. You can see pictures of the build process and the finished product in my room at my site: Here
    The box stands over 4 feet high and almost 2 feet wide. It includes 4" legs, and the correct port and driver cutouts and bracing all glued and sanded. All you have to do is install a plate amp or speaker terminal and finish the cosmetics of the sub. The build quality is A+ since pro/industrial equiptment was used and it includes a warranty. I was the engineer behind it so feel free to ask any questions. There are only two of these in the world right now. [​IMG]
    My cost estimate for your custum enclosure is that it will cost more than $300.

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

BTW, the top of my enclosure is aluminum laminate. Yes we can make an enclosure made of 7075S aluminum or even clear lexan. [​IMG]