What's new

Looking for some nice small speakers, my my computer desk (1 Viewer)

Lone Fox

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
Hopefully you guys/galls can help me out, but.. be nice please. I understand I will be receiving a significant trade off in choosing small speakers, and please.. I'm not interested in bookshelf speakers because I know someone will bring it up :D
These speakers will be for my computer, but I'm not sure what to look out for. I want small, and I mean really small speakers (please forgive me). I do watch a lot of online videos on my computer (I cancelled cable tv), but not movies (thats for the living room). I'm also a Elder Scrolls fan, and oddly enough this is the ONLY game I play; I've been living cheaply and working two jobs, so now that I'm back on my feet and getting ready to quit my second job I want to get back to playing a game I haven't touched yet... Skyrim.
I don't want to spend much for these speakers, $100, but I think I'm going to have to push $200 which is fine.
I currently have a Topping TP30 class-T amplfier (ratted 2 x 10watts @ 8ohms); it has a built in DAC and connects to my (future) computer via USB. I do want to try a different DAC/Amplifier configuration latter on, but for now I will stick with the TP30. I will point out that I also use headphones, and these have a front headphone amplifier (separate circuit).
Some speakers I have looked at:
Polk Audio RM8 ($130/pair)
Mirage MX miniature ($200/pair)
Cambridge Audio Minx Min-10 ($160)
I just want some feedback, and I'm wondering how will such low wattage affect smaller speakers? I noticed the Mirages have 87dB sensitivity.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
have you thought about a system designed for use with a computer? such as the Klipsch Promedia 2.1? Or the offerings from creative or logitech. We all know they are not the pinnacle of sound but you are all ready to compromise anyway. I picked up a pair of Z-10s (which fit the bill for me) for $50 on Craigs...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
For the set-up you already have, the Klipsch Pro-Media is a step backwards.
10wpc is much more than you think it is. Sitting at a desk, most speakers are going to be around 90db just using 1 watt. 93db is at 2 watts. using all 10 you'd be around 96db...
That is jamming in any sense of the term.
The only other speaker I'll throw in, mainly cause of cost, is the BIC DV32.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-AMERICA-DV-32B-Shielded-Speakers/dp/B00006JPDF/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343833309&sr=1-1&keywords=bic+dv32

Lone Fox

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
I'm leaning towards Polk Audio Blackstone TL1 or TL2
NickSI said:
have you thought about a system designed for use with a computer? such as the Klipsch Promedia 2.1? Or the offerings from creative or logitech. We all know they are not the pinnacle of sound but you are all ready to compromise anyway. I picked up a pair of Z-10s (which fit the bill for me) for $50 on Craigs...
Yes - I've thought about it, because of cost. However, since I'm using a DAC/Amp setup (headphones), I am thinking about pickup up a decent/nice pair of small speakers. For one, I'm thinking they may sound better, but I don't know - or at the least would make for an interesting experiment. For two, when one plugs the DAC/amp into the computer using the USB (or Optical for some models), the sound is cut off. I would have to unplug the DAC every time I wish to use my cheap computer speakers; I know that sounds incredibly lazy, but it is what it is.
schan1269 said:
For the set-up you already have, the Klipsch Pro-Media is a step backwards.
10wpc is much more than you think it is. Sitting at a desk, most speakers are going to be around 90db just using 1 watt. 93db is at 2 watts. using all 10 you'd be around 96db...
That is jamming in any sense of the term.
The only other speaker I'll throw in, mainly cause of cost, is the BIC DV32.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-AMERICA-DV-32B-Shielded-Speakers/dp/B00006JPDF/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343833309&sr=1-1&keywords=bic+dv32
Can't wait to find out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks