Looking for some advice on speaker upgrade

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Matt Fisher, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

I am working on reworking most of my system, am going to purchase a new receiver in the next few days, and then the speakers are all I see left to upgrade. This is for a 13' x 13' or so room, and I don't need defeaning volume, just quality. I'm on a college student's budget, so try to work with me. DVD player is a JVC XV-SA75 (I wanted DVD-Audio capability, which I've been loving.) The receiver is either going to be a Pioneer VSX-D514 (100w x 5 channel), or Sherwood RD-7103 (also 100w x 5). Hopefully I'll be getting the Pioneer as I've heard good things, and it's a much more attractive piece in my opinion. Subwoofer is a Sony SA-WM20 (8" 50-watt, does the trick for the price, it's a rather small room remember), Cerwin Vega Re-6C center channel speaker (from a friend who no longer needed it), and the front and rears are junky Kenwood's that came with the receiver (it was a 5.1 package with my current receiver) So what I'm looking to do is upgrade the fronts and rears, is $200 realistic for all 4, getting something decent? I can't go too much higher, but then again I'm really digging all the hi-res audio so I don't wanna short change myself.

2. Nick Bum

Nick Bum Stunt Coordinator

Om on a college students budget and I decided the best way to go is with a stero system. Get two amazing speakers and a sub and you have all the sound you need. Who cares about 5.1 when you can amaze your buds with a set of awsome speakers. Try looking at like Kiplish speakers for that price they have a series at bestbuy that is in your price range if you want to do all 5 for under 200 i think. But the sound quality will not be that great. (also i have a 5.1 system in addition to my stero but the stero gets much more use)

3. Muhammed

Muhammed Agent

I'd agree with Nick, if you're on a budget don't try to buy 5 matching speakers. I'd rather get 2 good ones, and in a few months get a good center channel, you can do the rears later.

Polk has some good speakers priced low, i'm not sure where you live but Tweeter and Fry's have had some sales on them lately. But get yourself a good set of front speakers, and save towards a center channel.

Rather build the system in pieces, then get something all around now that you'll be less happy with. You can keep your current rears until you decide that you want new ones down the road or something.

4. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

is my center worth keeping? it's a Cerwin Vega Re-6C? And thanks I'll check into those Kiplisch or Polk fronts and just keep my rears probably till I can upgrade those over summer.

5. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    i like muhammed's idea. buy the best fronts you can. look into the paradigm titan's if you can find them. JBL speakers are usually pretty good as well.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/

they have some E series remanufactured speakers for $209 a pair. they should sound pretty good. I think Best Buy has them...

buy.com also had some decent speakers last time I checked.

keep the center for now, but upgrade when you have the money. just make sure you build the system with the same line of speakers so they are all timbre matched. that will be the best thing when you finally get the system built, everything will sound better...

6. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

I checked out the Polk Monitor 40 series today and was pretty impressed, it was I think $300 or so for the pair, looked and sounded very nice. I think I'm gonna take your guys advice for now, I'm gonna get the receiver mess straightened out first, keep the center and rears for now, and work on upgrading the fronts first. Thanks again.

7. john seitz

john seitz Stunt Coordinator

plus I think you can skip the center all together... as least I would - as it might sound a bit off with mixed brands?

I always thought a center was as needed as a sub. but after upgrading to two really nice fronts (RTi6) it changed my mind.

also if you are near a Tweeter they have a killer deal on some polk towers RT90 euro's? never have seen them before (3 - 5.25 subs, 1 5.25 mid and the typical polk tweeter) for $375 a pair!

8. Nick Bum

Nick Bum Stunt Coordinator

Yeah just run stero for now it will sound the best. And if you want throw a sub in the mixer. I personally find that running my Electra's and a sub sounds amazing and I only add in the crapy sony center and rears when my friends want surround sound for a movie and well it sounds a bit odd...but it give the effect to some extent....but the stero will rock your socks off if you get the best fronts you can afford and build around those over the years.