What's new

Looking for small, white speakers (1 Viewer)

James_T

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently downgrading my stereo system, and looking to purchase some small, white speakers. My current (and only) top choice right now are the Energy Take 2 speakers. What else can anyone here recommend that meets my requirements? Music is important to me first.

I'd be mating these with a low-end receiver (H/K 125 or 225 are my probable choices).

Also, where can I pick up some of the Energy speakers if I decide on them? How much would they cost? I am debating whether or not I need a sub... how much for the Energy speakers with the sub that mates with them?

Thanks for any help here.

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
Hi James!

You would definitely need a sub to go with the Energy 5.2. Being a satellite, it can only go down to around 100hz or so.
As for the price, I understand that the MSRP for the 5.2 together with the S8.2 sub is 900USD, although I got the package with the S10.2 sub for only around 750USD. Probably it would be even cheaper there in the US.

As for other tiny speakers with white finish, I think Def Tech's Procinema series comes in white too, but I'm not familiar with them though.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
NHT super one comes in white
Paridygm "Titans" and "Atoms"
All three excellent speakers, the super one is rated down to about 60 hz, dependind on your taste in music you probally do need a sub with these guys, there are some good small subs out there that you should be able to hide effectivly.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
(JBL N24AW WHITE Speaker) said:
For more JBL INFO & Reviews w/links, see my webpage Why you should add JBL "N" & "S" Series to your audition list!.
**NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

James_T

Stunt Coordinator
Well, for right now I'll just be buying two small speakers, and maybe going back to 5.1 in the future. I've owned Paradigm speakers for quite a while (Titans, Studio 20s and 40s)... do they come in white?

I'll look into the NHT super ones. I'm guessing though that like many NHT speakers they are hard to drive?

And I'll definitely check out the JBLs.

I had no idea so many speakers came in white...

Oh, and I just realized that we sell Velodyne subs where I work, so I can get them at cost.

Thanks for all of your help so far!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you like the N24AWs, there are also N26AW. The AW stands for all-weather... there's also a N26W, which is white, but not suited for outdoors.

Hope this helps.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I could also recommend the Nht SuperZero XU (has a non-resonant plastic cabinet with built in bracket for wall hanging) as these are relatively cheap, sound quite good, hangs on walls (thus can easily be moved to the back for rear duties in the future), easily modified (www.northcreekmusic.com), and are decently though not ridiculously small (by this I mean uses T/S for decent sound instead of small size for small size purpose). The only weak point is that you need a good sub to match and I'd advise to Diy an IB sub if space and SAF is paramount.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I drive 5 NHT super ones with a Rotel 985 THX (110x5) and they are not hard to drive, they are not effecient (1 watt/1meter= 84 to 86db) Seldom does my power meters go over about 10 watts during moderate to load passages. They are very accurate little speakers, I use a Super one for center and it works out great. Bought a new DVD player last night and have been in "marathon mode" all day, just turned the amps off, they were just warm about 95-100F.
I used to use Titans, I think they may be a little more difficult than the NHTs. Also had the late model JBL 8 inch 3 way which were much more effecient but didn't sound as "tight" or accurate as the Titans or NHTs. A good cross over to take the bass off these guys helps a lot.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Why white? That seems like a strange requirement. I say go with the Paradigms, of some sort, and paint them white. :) Seriously, they'll sound better than the rest.

James_T

Stunt Coordinator
White is a necessity because I'll be moving in with my girlfriend (soon to be fiance) next year, and she has all white furniture and hates the look of electronics. I'd love to paint some Paradigms, but the grilles would be a problem still.

I'm thinking that the NHT Superzeros available for $94 shipped from onecall seem like a no-brainer. I can get the following Velodyne subs from work at cost:

CHT8: $174
CHT10: $232
CHT12: $290

Does this sound like a good combo? I'd be purchasing a H/K AVR-125 or 225 as well (also from work at cost). Sound good overall?

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
They do like the way they sound though. My wifes a pain sometimes but I have noticed if it is high quality and sounds right she doesn't mind the big black boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks