Looking for small speakers to appease the WAF

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake T, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

I'm looking for a SMALL set of speakers for my family room (NOT BOSE!!!) that will be (WAF) placed 4 feet above the TV.

Any Suggestions?

I have a dedicated home theater in the house, so all I am looking for is something to reproduce stereo TV and music upstairs. When I watch regular TV upstairs, I cannot stand the TV speakers!

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Jake

2. Jason Reich

Jason Reich Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased small speakers for the same reason...waf. After listening to many different speakers I ended up getting Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 100's for my mains and 80's for my rears, I could have used 80's all around, they sound great and they are roughly the size of a pop-tarts box. I would suggest you give the 80's a listen. A second choice of mine was the Energy Take 5.2 speakers, again small and clean, they sounded real good as well, but I did perfer the Def-Techs. I have heard great things about the smaller JBL speakers too though the series slips my mind. Hope this helps!

3. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

I am in a similar position with my wife. I have been looking at M & K S-150's for my fronts. I currently have tower speakers as my mains and she "complains" about the "size" of them. I guess "size" does matter after all[​IMG]
    Dave

4. Newell

Newell Extra

Check out the new Quad L series (high WAF), perhaps the L11 will work for you. Six coats of hand rubbed lacquer. Killer look and sound.(www.quad-hifi.co.uk).
    Choices for USA (for now) are rosewood or black. The birds eye maple will not be available until next year.
    Call Walter (dealer from his home in Atlanta) for pricing (retail is about $600/pr). 770-667-5633.
    I've ordered a pair for a friend. Have not heard yet, but check out the review link on the Quad site.
    Center available in about 30 days (retail $500).
    Hope this helps.

5. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

For speakers high on the WAF factor I would go with Energy Take 5.2s. Do not get the Energy S8.2 sub with it but go for a Hsu VTF-2 or SVS 25-31PCi and squirrel it away in a corner somewhere.

All of the 5.2s come with wall mounts and are shielded. In addition they come in a black or white lacquer to match your decor.

I have heard others being very happy with the JBL NS-P1. They are relatively small speakers and sound pretty good (from what I hear). They also can be had for a great price ($249) due to a closeout from a patent lawsuit over their design. (Correct me if I am wrong on that.) Still I would go with the Hsu or SVS sub if it works.

The SVS in some cases is low on the WAF factor but it all depends on your room layout. Some like a box and others like the tube SVS. As I have mentioned before if you wife is really into decorating you could always have a slip cover made for the outside of the SVS... I am "looking forward" to one this christmas.

Matthew

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

7. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

How about the Rockets by Onix.

8. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

My wife LOVES the JBL setup I put together (S38II, S26II and S-Center). Actually, she prefers the speakers without the fabric covering the speakers. She likes how it looks as well. I like to keep the fabric on, I find myself glancing over looking at the speakers from time to time with it off.
    Might want to check those out.
    Otherwise, if its size you want then you may want to check out the Gallos (http://www.roundsound.com). I was fortunate enough to have a dealer the next town over who had these setup. He only had 2 of them on the wall with the powered sub (you need one with these small things) and let me tell you, I almost got those if I wasn't introduced to the JBL's. Pricey but boy they sound good.

9. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Som e of the best WAF speakers:
    Gallo Micros (look kind of like bose, but alot better looking and sounding)
    Blueroom Minipods (as seen on friends, kind of bulbous, very good sounding with endless placement possiblities)
    Aperion Audio 502's (small but sound fantastic. Need good subwoofer with these no matter what)
    Norh (weird design, really love or hate shape)

Also, if you need to have speakers place 4 ft above your tv, look into some high strength speaker wall stands, like those made by B-tech, among others. These can hold up speakers weighing as much as 55 lbs each, just as long as your wall is strong enough.

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How about the Energy Take 5 speaker package? The review is on the AudioRevolution.com site.

11. HowardGjr

HowardGjr Stunt Coordinator

I second the gallo suggestions. Very high WAF for looks. They aren't really super pricey (I paid $1350 for five speakers and sub). You can do better if you look for them online

If you have cash, the Gallo Due' speakers are slightly larger and significantly more expensive, but sound better than the micro's. Much nicer high frequency response.

12. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I also think you should check out the Gallo speakers. I considered them myself at some point, they are really nice. I recently saw an ad in Sound&Vision Magazine for the Gallo Nucleus A'Diva at $450 a pair. They look like the Nucleus Micros so I don't know what the difference is, there is no information about them on their website. You may want to check out a local dealer. According to their site, these are the list of dealers in Illinois.

Champagne Audio
    505 South Neil
    Champaign, IL 61820
    217-355-8828
    217-355-1267

Sound & Vision
    14474 S. La Grange Rd.
    Orland Park, IL 60462
    (708) 403-2500
    (708) 403-2428

Kay's Interiors
    4700 North Dover
    Chicago, IL 60640
    312 661 9031

Audio Consultants
    110E. Ogden Avenue
    Hinsdale, IL 60521
    630 789 1990
    630 789 1995

Audio Consultants
    757 N. Milwaukee Ave.
    Libertyville, IL 60048
    847 362 5594
    847 362 5621

Audio Consultants
    839 North Clark St.
    Chicago, IL 60610
    312 642 5950
    312 642 5995

Sound Wave
    11324 Southwest Highway
    Palos Hills, IL 60465
    708 974 0496
    708 974 0498

Synergistic Sound
    1154 South 4th Street
    Dekalb, IL 60115
    815 748 7515
    815 748 7515

Audio Consultants
    1014 Davis St.
    Evanston, IL 60201
    847 864 9565
    847 864 9570

The Little Guys
    18305 S. Halsted St
    Glenwood, IL 60425
    708-754-8844
    708-754-9797

BTW, I don't really think they look like Bose considering the Gallos are spheres about the size of a softball.

13. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the replies. All look them all over when I get the time.

Thanks, Again

14. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

B&W LM1 you can have them for about $300.

15. Ricky***C

Ricky***C Extra

Paradigm Mini Monitor's [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Try out the NHT line.

17. Phuong

Phuong Stunt Coordinator

I second Rich's suggestion. The best small speakers around have got to be the NHT SuperZero speakers. You can check www.onecall.com and get 5 of them for $85 each. Great speakers. Small, cute, amazing sound all the way down to about 100 Hz.

18. BruZZi

BruZZi Second Unit

Another vote for NHT SuperZero. [​IMG]

19. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Mirage Omnisats.........unique approach...

20. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Nht superzeroes might not be a good choice if the matching amp is bright or the room is large (I tried mine in main theater and they compressed quite a bit). They will kick more tail if you get the Northcreek mods (I use 3 for a LCR for my computer).