Looking for relatively inexpensive amp power...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yousaf, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

I currently have a Harman Kardon 320 receiver, but as I upgrade to new speakers, I am beginning to think that the 55 watts/channel it puts out won't be enough, especially for speakers with a lower efficiency. The way I see it, I can either get a an external amp or a new receiver.

If I went to an external amp, I found a good deal on a Harman Kardon PA-4000 amp (8 x 45 watts, or 4 x 100 watts bridged which is what I'd use). However, that only helps me amp 4 channels, and I am lookign for 5.1 sound. Would I then need another amp? If so, I guess I could get a Harman Kardon PA-2000 or another PA-4000 (only $150 difference between the two in case I decide to do 7.1). However, since I am in school and move my stuff in and out every couple months having to carry 3 big heavy pieces of equipment around around will be a pain, not to mention that they will take up more room when I am already space limited. BTW, the price on the PA-4000 is $400 if that helps.

Alternately, I can get something like the Harman Kardon 7000 receiver that outputs 100 watts/channel. I imagine that the sound quality won't be quite as good as the separates but it would be a lot more convenient to carry around. Also, I could help fund it by selling my 320 because I will no longer need it. I suppose I could stretch for the 8000 but at $1200, I don't think I could put together the money.

Also, if anyone knows of any relative solid (100 clean watts + ) 5-channel amps for about $800 I am open for suggestions.

Please reply soon, the deal on the Harman Kardon ends Friday so I need some idea of where I'm going by then. Thanks!

2. Lance Dahl

Lance Dahl Agent

I have a Sherwood in this price range , 125 w per channel. It has been a great amp.

3. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

Are you offering to sell it to me or just tell me the model? And what is the model number on it?

4. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Parasound is well within your price range, also.

5. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

I am interested in Parasound...since they are also high current amplifiers, will they sound similar to my HK? Also, will the HCA-855A (85 x 5 8 ohm, 125 x 5 4 ohm) be sufficient or should I try for a HCA-1205A (140 x 5 8 ohm, 200 x 5 4 ohm) for ~ $200 more? At $750 it is getting kind of pricey but I suppose it is worth it...note that those prices are used prices, new it is $1000. Also, after getting that my receiver amp cost will be approaching the cost of my speakers (I plan on spending ~$2000 on speakers minus sub, looking at Rockets, Home Theater Direct Level Fours, ACI Emeralds, Paradigm Studio 20, GR-Research, etc.)

Am I focusing too much on one area here? Basically, I do not want to purchase the 1205A if I will see no real benefit. Any advice? Or is it better just to get the 1205A because it should last several sets of speakers?

6. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

I'm actually in the same situation as you...Looking to upgrade to an amp in anticipation of getting better speakers. I am highly considering the Parasound 1205a at $750-800 and 140 wpc at 8 ohms. I think it will definitely be worth it to spend the extra $200 to get the 1205a over the 855a, to give me more headroom for my speakers (probably Rockets or Axioms).

The problem is, there are other 5-channel amps in that price range (Rotel, B&K, Sherbourn) and I'm having trouble picking which one I would like. Considering I'm buying used, I don't feel right going into a store and using their stuff to demo.

For me and my speaker preferences, I'm leaning toward either the Parasound or Rotel RMB-1075.

Ian

7. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

8. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

Rotel RMB 1075 At about $850. 120X5, but puts out more than that. Do not think you can go wrong with this AMP for the money[​IMG]

9. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

OK, I just realized that my birthday is comign up in a little over a week, so that should help out with the money problems [​IMG]

I am really looking now at the Rotel RB985 MKII for $550 or the Parasound 1205A for $700-750. The Parasound gives me 140 watts per channel (as opposed to the Rotel's 110) and a hell of a lot more current. Which would be the best match for my Harman Kardon 320 receiver? Will the Parasound be the better value in the long run? Which sounds better?

Help!

10. sean strugnell

Hi Yousaf,

You might want to check out my amp on the "For Sale" section of this forum:

Harman Kardon PA-5800 5 Channel Amp

It is spec'ed at 5 x 80 Watts, but HK is noted for being very conservative with their power ratings. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested.