Looking for REF Quality DVD Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by donnyB, Jan 24, 2006.

1. donnyB

donnyB Auditioning

I'm in the market to up-grade my DVD Player.
    Seriously considering some of the top of the line DVD Players like the Sony DVP-NS999ES & the Denon 2910.
    I'm not very familiar with Reference DVD Players & don't really know what my other options are so I was hoping to get some input from the folks that know. My Main concerns above all others is PQ.
    So, if you have any suggestions, recomendations, Opinions, I'd really appreciate any info you have.

thanks for the help, Don[​IMG]

Toshiba 52HMX94 Cinema Series DLP
    HK DPR1001 AV Receiver
    RBH MC Series In-Walls MC8, MC6

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Well right now you could safely choose from any of the following...

Oppo OPDV971H
    Panasonic S97 or S77
    Onyko SP-1000
    Denon 3910 or 5910
    Pioneer 59AVi or 79AVi

Each of them has pro's and con's but you really can't go wrong with any of them as far as picture quality is concerned.

Really though to get a more indepth look at these and other players go to the DVD shootout here

For what its worth I just picked up a demo SP-1000 for a great price b/c I wanted a top notch CD, SACD and DVD-A player as well as very good image qualtiy.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Well right now you could safely choose from any of the following...

Oppo OPDV971H
    Panasonic S97 or S77
    Onyko SP-1000
    Denon 3910 or 5910
    Pioneer 59AVi or 79AVi

Each of them has pro's and con's but you really can't go wrong with any of them as far as picture quality is concerned.

Really though to get a more indepth look at these and other players go to the DVD shootout here

4. mark tu

mark tu Extra

I have the Denon 2910 and am very pleased, but at this point, if it was me, I'd wait 6 months and see how the HD-DVD wars begin to shake out. The $700 DVD players might be selling for half or less at that time, or you might want to upgrade to the new format. I also have the Sony DVD/VHS combo player and for $135 or whatever they sell now for, do a pretty good job with the picture for the price. One of these types might hold you over for 6 months or so...
    Mark

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

My reasons for buying a referance quality player now was that the HD DVD's are going to be pretty expensive both in terms of media and players for at least a year and I wanted a very high quality universal player to handle CD, SACD and DVD-A