Auditioning
Real Name
bob drugan
I'm could use some help - I need a 50' HDMI cable - for a 4k tv . TIA Bob

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
TechHive – 4K HDMI cables: How to cut through the marketing lingo and figure out what you actually need

CNET – Best HDMI cables for your new 4K and HDR TV in 2020

Amazon has more "50-foot 4K HDMI cables" than you can shake a stick at, but I think there at at least two things you may want to look for:

(1) A solution that has some 'active' elements to maintain signal integrity.

(2) If you're going to run any part of the cable inside of a wall, a cable that is rated for that and that satisfies building codes.

Reactions: Bobd207s

Bobd207s

Auditioning
Real Name
bob drugan
Thanks for the replies !! after reading the links above - looks like I will need a active hdmi cable. Another option is an optical hdmi cable . Is one of these preferred ? I also plan on using the smart feature in the tv to access Netflix so I want the audio sent to my pre-amp - should it be ARC or EARC ? can anyone please provide some insight on what I might look into? TIA again, Bob

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Another option is an optical hdmi cable . Is one of these preferred ?
Optical cables can support very long distances. The CNET article mentioned that some supported distances of over 100 meters (330 feet). The fiber-optic part of such a cable is immune to electrical interference (whereas with normal cables, you'd want to be sure to pick a well-shielded cable to protect against such interference).

The downside of optical cables is that they cost more. Also, they might be a little bit more fragile than regular ones (not that you want to go crimping and bending any cable on purpose).

For your purposes, it sounds as if either a well-constructed 'active' copper cable, or an optical cable, would do.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Reactions: Bobd207s

xx Brian xx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Personally, I prefer to use an HDMI Extender over ethernet or fiber. I went through three 50' HDMI cables at my house and 2 at my daughters house before I switched to the extenders and have not had any issues since in either home. I also lost a receiver during a storm when the main board blew out from a surge coming from the Sat box and through the long HDMI cable. With an extender this will not happen.

You can get HDMI extenders that have ethernet pass through, IR control, audio extraction and support for ARC. It will cost more but when I added up how much the three HDMI cables cost me I came out ahead in the long run.

Brian

Reactions: Yeoman007

Bobd207s

Auditioning
Real Name
bob drugan
Brian - the extender looks like a great alternative. FYI - I am putting all my a/v gear and source devices in a closet so there will be no direct view of it from my living room.

I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

1. if all my source devices are plugged into my a/v pre-amp would i just plug the extender's hdmi into the hdmi out on the a/v pre-amp

2. if I'm using the smart tv to access Netflix would the audio from the tv's ARC HDMI out go back to my a/v pre-amp using the extender

3. would you have a recommendation of what brand / model I should look at

Thanks
Bob

r_dominicus

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Dominicus
Reactions: Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
Echoing @r_dominicus - optical is the way to go. Don't cheap out on cables, and enjoy near instant HDMI handshakes, no signal dropouts and a much better experience for years to come.

I personally use these two cables as they are future proof for 8K/HDMI 2.1:

Amazon productand this one:

xx Brian xx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Brian - the extender looks like a great alternative. FYI - I am putting all my a/v gear and source devices in a closet so there will be no direct view of it from my living room.

I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

1. if all my source devices are plugged into my a/v pre-amp would i just plug the extender's hdmi into the hdmi out on the a/v pre-amp

2. if I'm using the smart tv to access Netflix would the audio from the tv's ARC HDMI out go back to my a/v pre-amp using the extender

3. would you have a recommendation of what brand / model I should look at

Thanks
Bob

Answer to questions

1. Yes, plug the HDMI from receiver output to the transmitter and the HDMI from the receiver to the TV.

2. Yes, if you make sure to get one that states it does ARC.

3. The only extender I use right now is AVProEdge. You would want something like the AC-EX40-444-PLUS-KIT.

The recommendations above for an active fiber HDMI are also good and would be less expensive. Fiber cables will also help protect your equipment from surges that come through the HDMI cable from a sat/cable box.

Brian

Mredwards

Agent
Real Name
Matt
These experts can tell you if this is a good idea or not but as mentioned I also used a video balun (hdmi to long cat5e then Cat5e to HDMI on the other end) system for a long HDMI camera to a tv and it worked very well for years now. I do not know at all about any av quality loses though. What it was did was sufficient for what I needed. May be old tech..

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mexxbell